Old 02-10-2014, 06:21 AM   #1
Dude Here
I'm the Dude...Man!

First Name: Steve
Trading: (3)
Army (Served With Honor)
Dude Here will become famous soon enough
Default Well, it finally happened

This morning started off like any other. I was riding my bike to my carpool spot, light mist in the air and a little chilly out. As I got closer to the highway the mist picked up a little bit and the roads were getting a little more wet. I come up on the turn to get onto the access road for the highway, a place I ride to and through four to five days a week. I've already downshifted into second, probably going around 15mph, I put a little pressure on the rear brake to slow a bit more for the sharp turn, when trouble finds old Duder.

The rear brakes lock up tight, probably due to the little bit of moisture from the mist, and the bike begins to fishtail. Now, I've had the bike fishtail before and it's not biggie, you just ride it out. However, that little bit of mist and sprinkle was just enough to make the road nice and slick. The back end of the bike comes around to my right, the forks cut to the left and away I go! Thank GOD I was traveling at slow speed because even that little 15mph sent me sliding a good 7 or 8 feet on my back.

I get up and give myself a quick functions check. Everything seems to be in order, no extra bumps or bends that weren't there when I got up this morning. A couple of cars had stopped and a guy jumps out and helps me pick up my bike and push it off the road onto the sidewalk. I give the bike a quick once over and everything seems fine and I ride it home with no issues. I get home and call the boss man and he gave me the day off with the stipulation that I go to the doc should anything start hurting too bad (my doc's a good man...and thorough).

Overall, the bike's fine and I'm gonna be pretty sore later today. No real point to this post, just thought I'd share my exciting morning.

Here's an artist's depiction of what happened: