View Single Post
Old 12-08-2013, 11:11 PM   #12
thebayratt
Still Watching My Ash

First Name: Shawn
Trading: (11)
RA
thebayratt will become famous soon enoughthebayratt will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Washer and Dryer Help

I delivered appliances and was the delivery manager for Lowes for 11 years up until this spring. I would not ever never ever buy a front load. If you want a HE that won't break your bank or back, go with a Whirlpool Cabrio. They are cheaper than the front loaders (unless if you get the platinum model). I have seen a ton of people go back to the "traditional" style of W/D because of either repair costs or tired of bending down or the seals leaking or the seals going out and clothes catching on the door. Yes, you can make pedistals, but make sure they are sturdy enough to hold 200# or more. I've seen people build their own and they fall apart or the machine comes off of them bc they didn't balance or bolt them down.

If looks don't matter, I'd get a "nice" washer and a simple dryer. Save the $$. A dryer is nothing but that; a dryer. I don't think steam makes too much of a difference for me to spend the extra cash on. Typically, your dryer lasts a third or more longer than a washer... because they are simple. Once you add steam and more useless bells and whistles you won't use..... you basically paid high dollar for a basic dryer.

Extended warranties are worth it!!
Lowes & HD have a week warranty within the store. After that, you have to deal with outside contracted repair people. One motor or transmission goes out, there is the price of the extended warranty.

BTW since about 2006, Whirlpool has owned Maytag and the quality has digressed a bit on them. "They don't make them like they used to". But the mid lined Whirlpools are good.

I have a GE set that's working on 6years.