View Single Post
Old 01-25-2009, 03:08 PM   #19
FXAdam
Meep!

Trading: (0)
ERdM
FXAdam is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Giving up cigarettes.

Do not under any circumstances buy a pack. No "I'll just have one" type BS. If you buy a pack to get one cigarette you will end up smoking the whole thing, and then your initiative will be over.

I've watched many people try to quit and that has been the nail in the coffin on many occasions in my opinion.

The key to staying quit is remarkably simple. People never like it when I tell them this but it makes sense and is what worked for me.

Whenever you want a cigarette, don't smoke. That's it. No special tricks. Just don't smoke. Eventually you will stop wanting to. Eventually the smell of smoke will actually start to become really unpleasant and the idea of smoking a cigarette will make you kind of nauseous.

If you can don't substitute anything else for smoking in order to accomplish your not smoking. You don't want to get "hooked" on something else, no I'll just have a small snack to distract me, or a candy or whatever.

Find something to distract you. Keeping yourself busy with cleaning the house is a really good one. You get rid of all the smokey smells that have built up over time and keep yourself doing something other than thinking about not smoking.

You might want to lay off the stogies for awhile as well so you don't end up pouding through them trying to get your nicotine fix.

And that's about it.

Edited to add that I used to smoke and successfully quit on my first try and haven't really looked back at all. I had only smoked for about 5 years though and I recognize I probably wasn't as hooked as many people are.

Last edited by FXAdam; 01-25-2009 at 03:15 PM.
FXAdam is offline   Reply With Quote