View Single Post
Old 10-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #10
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Big ring gauge cigars...

My understanding is that the blends for each line typically done to a corona size, then adapted to each other vitola. This results in more bland filler used to create larger ring guage cigars. The other thing I've read and found to be true is that the flavor of the wrapper leaf, the most expensive/best quality leaf in the cigar, is more prominant in smaller ring guage cigars as it represents a larger percentage of the overall tobacco vs a big ring.

I'm far from a expert but those are the reasons I'm familiar with, personal preference aside. I started off with bigger ring sticks and moved to smaller over time. Now my favorite vitolas are corona or petite corona. Lanceros are nice from time to time as well. With very small RG stuff you are forced to take your time or you'll ruin the cigar. They quickly turn hot/bitter if you "Hoover" them. Larger RG are more forgiving in that regard, making them a little easier for less experienced smokers.