View Single Post
Old 04-22-2013, 08:36 AM   #3804
OLS
Suck It

First Name: Brad
Trading: (19)
Bolivar AirForce (Served With Honor)
OLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to beholdOLS is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigCat View Post
The other three had good flavor, but were not as tender and some of the larger pieces of meat actually were a little dried out. I don't know how to explain them being not as tender (which I think means they needed to cook longer) and also drier except for maybe the placement within the WSM
When you cook back ribs, you have to watch out for the large pieces of loin that sometimes come
attached to the rack. I don't know if you have ever cooked pork loin, the ones they package in a round
pack that come as two tenderloins butted against each other. They dry out superfast, and have to be
cooked just right to even stand a chance of them being moist. Sometimes the meat from that area can be
tough and dry on a rack of BBRs.

You also get a similar deal with the meat flap (lol) on a rack of spares, where the rack thins down to about
1/4 inch thick and there are no bones there, one of two parts that often gets trimmed away in a St. Louis cut,
it can dry out while waiting for the rest of the rack to cook. That's why I trim it all away and cook it down with pintos.
OLS is offline   Reply With Quote