View Single Post
Old 11-14-2012, 12:32 AM   #3284
Robulous78

Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Digs View Post
Rob most of all the so called "features" you say that the Glocks are missing is what makes them the 1st choice of regular pistol shooters and military / police.
All glock models contain only 34 parts, 4 of which are in the magizine alone, all that other fluff: chamber indicators, de-cockers, back strap safety's is what attracts first and second time pistol buyer it doesn't not improve the safety or performance one bit, how many times have you heard of someone accidentally discharging a firearm say " I tought the safety was on" or " I didn't know it was loaded".if the shooter always assumes the pistol is hot that's the best safety of all rather then put your faith in a safety or chamber indicator! Also missing all the useless fluff improves reliability and keeps cost down look at the Beretta M9 (92 FS) it had 70 parts! I have worked part time for a gunsmith for 10 years, all the "features" are the items that fail.

Also Glock mags new can be had for $23/$24, i know a place right now that has PD trade in mags for the G23 for $9 ea!! You can also get Korean surpluses mags for $10-$12.
I understand your arguments completely... My first choice is a S&W .357 stub that has none of those features/parts...

My recommendation was for a FIRST firearm... Obviously Mac with his service is looking for something different but my suggestion was meant for someone unfamiliar with firearms... So some of those features undoubtedly make the gun better for new users...