View Single Post
Old 08-16-2012, 09:33 AM   #1253
mithrilG60
Feeling at Home

First Name: Geoff
Trading: (2)
Cuaba
mithrilG60 will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Wristwatch collectors out there?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosesbotbol View Post
Is it an automatic? Looks like a classic pilots watch with a onion crown, kind of like a Big Pilot chrono. 47 mm is huge!
Like IWC's Big Pilot Chrono, the Steinhart Nav B-Chrono is based on the B-UHREN watches that 5 companies, including IWC, produced for Luffwaffe bomber pilots and navigators before and during WWII. Steinhart also makes a line of pure pilot watches that much more closely resemble the B-Uhren's. The diamond crown on the watch I ordered is actually historically accurate, the onion/pumpkin crown is a more uniform/round shape and is a modern addition to the pilot watch.

All of Steinhart watches are mechanical, some manual wind and some automatic. The one I've ordered is a mech auto chrono using the Valjoux 7750 movement. 47mm is on the larger side depending on your wrist size, but it's the 16.7mm height that's the large dimension on this watch. I have a 19.5cm wrist and find that anything under about 42mm looks lost on my arm. While obviously not my arm, this person is wearing the 47mm on a slightly smaller 19cm wrist:

Depending on how this purchase goes, and I have no doubts that the watch quality will be just as good as the watch forums say it is, I've got a feeling I'll be ordering this marine chronometer inspired manual wind as a dress watch. Hard to go wrong for 383Euro shipped.

Last edited by mithrilG60; 08-16-2012 at 09:40 AM.
mithrilG60 is offline   Reply With Quote