Thread: RH problems?
View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 10:34 AM   #43
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: RH problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smitty81 View Post
I think I'm gonna put the sticks in a bag with beads and let the humidor season without the sticks in it.

Thanks
That's exactly what you want to do.
I think you'll have a lot more luck with this next humidor, too. I had one that was all glass in the front and the lid and it was nearly impossible to keep the RH up even with a hydra and tons of beads. There was no fixing that one, either.
If you want, and it really helps, you can add a couple little sponges when you season next time. Wet them with distilled water and sit them on a plate or dish. It increases the surface area dramatically and will deliver a ton more moisture to the air than bowls with water do.
Try not to open the humi at all during seasoning, or maybe just very briefly every couple days to check your dishes and/or sponges. If they need attention, make sure you close the humidor immediately. That'll help keep you moving ahead instead of backwards.

Once you put your sticks and beads in, you're committed. Same thing, try not to open the humi. If you need to check, do it quickly and no more than maybe every couple days.

Something else...
The humidor will stabilize and recover RH a lot better once it nearly full of sticks. It's a lot tougher to maintain any kind of RH in any empty humi. The cigars will act as a water-sink and help to control the humidity with the beads.
If your new big humidor is going to be mostly empty, it's going to be tough to control your RH. That's good reason to fill it up.
3/4's full is probably the best situation you can get, that way it allows for a little order here and there, and leaves some air space for circulation.