View Single Post
Old 02-21-2012, 01:01 PM   #1
VTDragon
Feeling at Home

First Name: Gary
Trading: (0)
VTDragon is on a distinguished road
Default Red Sox 2012

A new manager, a new spring training complex, a new, (yet to be determined) shortstop, hopefully a new attitude by the pitching staff, a new closer and a new general manager. It's been an interesting off season for the boys who inhabit the oldest park in baseball -(you know that you'll be sick of the 100 year anniversary stuff by May 1st).
It seems that Bobby V. is determined that the guys are going to work a bit harder this spring than they did in Tito's camp. That's probably a very good thing, especially if it avoids the type of disastrous start they got off to last year.
Some random thoughts:
I think Carl Crawford , (once healthy) will bounce back to his normal production.
I hope that Iglasias gets a real chance to compete for the SS job and that if he does not win it outright he gets sent back to AAA to improve his hitting. He can't learn to hit consistantly by riding the major league bench.
Can either of the other SS's in camp play 3rd? I hope so because Youk is getting old, spent a lot of time injured last year and could stand to be given a rest every few days.
I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see Bard becoming a quality starter. He relies too much on his fastball and needs to really trust his changeup if he is going to start. I see him going back to thebullpen once Dice K is healthy.
Aceves, on the other hand, will do fine.
It will be nice to not have to suffer through another Lackey outing.
We'll miss Papelbon, but New England native Andrew Bailey should assure not much of a drop-off in production.
Both glad and sad to see Wakefield retire. A great guy, but obviously his time has come and gone. (Now Varitek needs to face reality too)
Well, lots more to speculate on, but let the games begin and we'll see how it goes. If nothing else, it will be interesting.

An expert is a person who knows enough about what's really going on ... to be scared.
VTDragon is offline   Reply With Quote