View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
lenguamor
puta por Ninfas!

First Name: Joe
Trading: (23)
PL
lenguamor will become famous soon enoughlenguamor will become famous soon enough
Default Re: Cigar Aging Peak Times

Quote:
Originally Posted by icehog3 View Post
I try to age all my Gurkhas to last until the day after my death.

The general rule is well-established; the specific factors of aging any one cigar begin with the cigar itself; the temperature at which you keep it and the humidity are the other two factors.

Cigars are one area in which the "nature vs. nurture" argument is pointless; a great cigar kept in poor conditions will cease to be a great cigar, but a bad cigar will never be a great cigar, no matter how long nor how well you age it.

I have a lot of clear Havanas and other old sticks which were likely kept in what we would regard as poor conditions; in someone's desk or someone attic/basement, often for 50 or more years. Yet after some TLC and time in a good environment, they rebounded to the point at which they are among my most prized cigars, and I enjoy them thoroughly...but I have no idea how good they could have been.

Point is: experiment. Try for yourself. No one here can say for sure what current, fresh sticks are going to age well, although you do develop a good "eye" for spotting them after you gain some experience.

That said, I have some Cremosas that have aged for at least six years. :