Thread: The Term "Yank"
View Single Post
Old 02-05-2012, 10:41 AM   #41
RGD.
God Like Status

First Name: Ron
Trading: (1)
VR Army (Served With Honor)
RGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura aboutRGD. has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: The Term "Yank"

Quote:
Originally Posted by iRiSh View Post
I'll give you an example.

Traditional Irish craft shop owner, Dublin city centre

" the shop has seen a vast decline in turnover this year, there doesn't seem to be as many tourists around, especially noticed there arnt as many yanks visiting"

Offensive?
Not offensive. I'm sure at some point in history the word was derived to be derogatory but as Americans on the whole I don't think we find the word to be. We have embraced it. We use it to name sports teams, ships as in Yankee Clippers, Yankee Candles, Yankee bird feeders, Yankee drills, etc. We have penned songs such as: Yankee Doodle and The Yanks are Coming, etc.

And just thinking about it - I don't believe I have ever heard the term used outside of the British and/or any former British colony/ruled country.

So continue on using the word "Yanks" to refer to us when you are outside of the USA. If on the other hand you find yourself in the US - in the South - use the word Yankee's and precede it with "f**king" . . . you will be right at home -

Ron (Born and Raised Southerner)
RGD. is offline   Reply With Quote