Old 12-16-2011, 09:24 AM   #34
Beagleone
Feeling at Home

Trading: (18)
JL
Beagleone will become famous soon enough
Default Re: DSLR Recommendations

Time for me to chime in here.

I prefer the Nikon brand over Canon for various reasons, but honestly, it is going to be up to you and what you feel is best for you (and your wallet). I have the D7000 and a D90 as back up. I used to shoot strictly film until the late 90s and gave it up for about 10 years until the digital age was affordable and the up to par with film.

The one thing I will say is that you need to hold the camera in your hand with various lenses before you make the purchase. For some, the Canon will feel better, for others it is Nikon, and yet again for others it is something completely different. Personally, I prefer to give my money to the local shops, but B&H is a reputable online dealer. Also looks at Keh.com and Adorama.com. Both are equally as good of a resource. Fredmiranda.com is a good forum site for information as well. Go to your local camera store and ask to handle the cameras they have in stock with several lenses. See what feels best and how you react to the controls and weight of the set up. Of course they will try to sell you then and there, and sometimes you can get a better deal by haggling with them, but nothing says you have to buy from them at all. One friend was able to knock a few hundred off the kit price buy haggling and showing them a better deal on Amazon than their in store prices.

My basic set up for the D7000 body is the battery grip and a 18-200mm f/3.5-5.6 VR lens that covers the most range for what I need. I have other lenses (50 f/1.4, 105 f/2, 80-400 f/4), but this one lens does most of the work for me. Everything I bought from a reputable local shop, either new or used.

I would recommend the D90 over everything else right now. It is the last generation, but it has a really good range for ISO (100 -3200), really good shutter speed and a higher MP rating. I used mine for quite a while and never had a problem. I only went with the D7000 because of the dual card slot, high ISO (100 - 6400) and a better MP rating. I would also go with 18-200 lens just because it should cover every range you will need for now. Also, get a Class 10 SD card (trust me, it will matter if you take a lot of photos in a rapid burst).