View Single Post
Old 10-11-2011, 11:58 AM   #94
shilala
Dear Lord, Thank You.

First Name: Scott
Trading: (252)
Cuaba
shilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond reputeshilala has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Our deck just showed up.

I'm coming around the last corner with the skirting. I'm super pleased with how it's turning out.
I had concepted this skirting design in my little brain and it looked super easy. Once I started figuring out how to deploy the idea it got really hard. It required me to work from the front side of the deck and the back side, and it was sheer hell. I put a section in and it didn't do the view-blocking I wanted at all and I was completely stifled as how to math it out so it worked. Plus my whole method of building it sucked.
Then I got sick for about a month. That gave me time to think on how to get this thing done. I figured out how to put up backing so I could do it all by myself from the front side and figured out the depth of the inside boards and height relation to the front boards. I went back out last week, tore out everything I had done, and started fresh.
It worked like a charm.
So I've been picking away at this for the last week, an hour or two here and there. Today I'm hoping I can last long enough to get it all finished up.
Then I have to go to Phase III and replace all the wood that's seeping sap, redo the stair treads by the sliding glass door, and finish around a dryer vent.
Then Phase IV will be to try and dodge raindrops and get the skirting stained, stain the replaced wood, areas I sanded out, and all the cracks between ten million boards.
Phase V will be running electric to all the lighting, putting in a switch outside (or inside), and adding lighting beneath the deck to light up the skirting.
Nothing to it.
Here's a couple shots of the skirting...

Side finished on the face...

Front of the deck finished under the cantilever. You can see how the two layers of 5/4 board work so the air comes right through but you can't see through it...