View Single Post
Old 06-20-2011, 08:47 AM   #1
RevSmoke
Ain't Never Gonna Leave

First Name: Todd
Trading: (51)
HUpmann
RevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant futureRevSmoke has a brilliant future
Default Noticable Curiosity

I have been a cigar smoker since 1980 and have seen quite a bit of things go on in the cigar world. I am probably not the one to ask names of individuals involved with each cigar company, for I just don't commit such things to memory (I don't know the names of most actors, actresses, or musicians in bands either).

I do love to watch people and their behaviors and attitudes.

Here's where I'm going with this.

In the boom of the '90s I watched a bunch of brands appear on the market, some of them went over like a lead brick and quickly faded. Others came on the scene and have been around ever since.

What is interesting is that in those boom years, there were all sorts of new cigars that showed up on the scene, they were a bit pricier, they sold like hotcakes, everybody bragged about how good they were - and - some stuck around, some didn't. Some were around for 2 years, some for 3, some even made a 5 year stay before they all faded. A couple are still around.

Something else I noticed, is that some of the old venerable brands (Punch, HdM, ERdM, AF's regular line, etc...) seemed to lose popularity. . I don't know that they really did though, as they outsold most of the newer brand. However, they were relegated to the class of second rate cigars by many of the new smokers (I classify them as the guys who have been smoking 5 years or less) who were the most vocal about what they liked and what they diss-ed - publically. Not only have many of the brands disappeared, but many of the new smokers who appeared in the '90s no longer are smoking cigars.

In regards to cigars, have noticed a similar trend today. There are all sorts of new cigars showing up, many of them are a bit pricier, they sell like hotcakes, everybody (at least those who are vocal) brags about how good they are... Will they stick around or not? Some of the newer names have already been around a few years, will that remain the case?

Yes, I will agree that we have a more "educated" cigar smoker today. However, does more educated about cigars make one have a more developed palate? I notice a trend in today's most popular cigars, and it appears that strength plays a big part of the most popular sticks. (By the way, when I talk about most popular, I am speaking of those cigars that seem to get the most press here at CA and on other forums, but that may not mean the most popular in terms of actual sales - I haven't studied it yet, but I'd guess the same old venerable brands still outsell the cigars that get the most bandwidth here at CA.) In regard to palate, could it be that the stronger cigars appeal more because palates are not as refined to the subtleties and nuances of flavors?

I am not trying to speak less of anybody - or their cigar choices - I am simply speaking of what I have observed as a curiosity and am asking questions. Actually, I am wondering if there is a new trend? If there is, will it continue? As the newer cigars rise, will the older brands fade - especially as the older smokers begin to...

Will the rise in smoking bans, which are curtailing cigar smoking everywhere, show a decline in cigar sales?

Another thing I am curious about it this. The newere brands seem to do many more special releases. These releases have much higher prices. Some of the older brands don't do much in that regard. Are these special releases one of the few ways that the newer brands can bolster their sales? What I mean is, does the number of cigars they sell after the shine has worn off drop significantly enough that they need to get their name back out there in an effort to pump up sales of their regular lines? In the meanwhile, those old lines just keep plugging along, not needed to constantly put there name out there and they still sell significant numbers of cigars?

Or, could it be that some of the older names are part of a larger company, selling many different brands, and so their massive output, across a broard spectrum, covers their shortfalls in other areas?

A fact is this, there is only so much "good - excellent" cigar tobacco out there. Are the smaller brands buying up the best, or...?

(One of the things that happened in the '90s boom is that the larger companies had contracts with grower and continued to get the best tobacco. Some of the boutique cigars were buying inferior tobacco at inflated prices and selling cigars on hype that many bought - there was some prestie in the price.)

As I sit back and smoke my cigars and try to figure out what to try and what not to try, the new things out there get a bit dizzying. I don't have the expendable income to try everything new that comes out - nor do I want to. I do sit back though, wondering what will be here after another 15 years and what won't be.

So, are we in the midst of another boom?
How many of the present cigars smokers, especially those who began this hobby in the last 3 years, will be smoking in 20 years?

Each of us has a different palate, this is most definitely true. Some of us have different tastes for different times of the day and/or situations. In fact, one individual's tastes may run from incredibly mild to knock-your-socks-off strong.

I enjoy some of the new brands as well as many of the older brands.

I'm not looking for a "your favorites list" here. I am curious though if my observations are shared with anybody else or if I'm off my rocker?

Peace of the Lord be with you.