View Single Post
Old 04-05-2011, 11:20 AM   #6
replicant_argent
Gravy Boat Winnah.

First Name: Pete
Location: my attorney has advised against giving this information to insane people
Trading: (22)
LGC
replicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to allreplicant_argent is a name known to all
Default Re: Budding audiophile/vinyl questions

With the technology of today, going from digital tracks to LPs is the equivalent of carving your own granite for perfomance tires, isn't it? Taking a very close and accurate recording and translating it to a mechanical and error prone and wearable media? It doesn't make sense to me. Nostalgia aside, I don't think you gain anything. Someone was just telling me the other day some studios still record on magnetic tape and then take that to digitally master the CD? Again... I must be doing logic backwards.
It would make sense to me to take a current LP inventory and use one of the MP3 conversion turntables to make digital copies to listen to. Storing the albums as an "original and primary backup" so to speak. Easily damaged, high maintenance items, those. For the conservation of the collection that makes sense to me, anyway.

Last edited by replicant_argent; 04-05-2011 at 11:26 AM.
replicant_argent is offline   Reply With Quote