Thread: beer hauls
View Single Post
Old 03-27-2011, 10:46 AM   #1059
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: beer hauls

Quote:
Originally Posted by Salvelinus View Post
I definitely see this part of it, but I remember not too many years ago drinking imperial IPA's from the local brewpubs for $5-6 a pint, now it's $7-8/12oz.

The other thing you are getting at with the big beers is opportunity cost because of the length of the fermentation. If they are using a tank they could run more batches of a pale that sells well in the same amount of time it takes to put out the one big beer.

I get the cost of things, and I like supporting smaller local businesses even if it costs me more to do so, but I think the trendiness of beer drinking is afoot as well and I am not as big a fan of that.
Yes, I agree on all points, especially the last. I do appreciate the costs involved with brewing bigger beers, I'm just reluctant to pay the premium when I work the economics out to a 5 gallon batch.

That being said, I did luck in to a pub on Saturday that was serving Founders KBS draft at basically $1/oz. I figured, ah what the hell, so I bought one.

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote