Thread: beer hauls
View Single Post
Old 03-25-2011, 10:42 AM   #1050
kaisersozei
The Homebrew Hammer

First Name: Gerard
Trading: (40)
Punch Army (Served With Honor)
kaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to allkaisersozei is a name known to all
Default Re: beer hauls

As much as I love craft beer, particularly the stuff that DFH, Bell's, Avery and Founders are putting out these days, I really have to draw the line at dropping $24 on a 4pack of beer. I've never had KBS, and based on its A+ BA score I'm sure it's good stuff. But that's a lot of dough to put down for a beer.

I guess I have the luxury of crafting my own stuff, so maybe I'm a little biased, but my concern is that all this uber-premium brewing is just going to jack the price of other craft beers across the board. Just a few years ago, you could get DFH 60, Bell's Three Hearted and Sierra Nevada Torpedo in my area for $6 or so. Now they're all at $9/6pk, and many brewers are beginning to package their stuff in the 4pk format. Jefferson's Reserve Bourbon Barrel Stout & Brooklyn Black Chocolate Stouts are other good examples. Where does it stop? Ingredient-wise, there isn't that much more going into a breakfast stout than in a standard variety stout--I appreciate the additional aging some of these beers are getting, but I'm not sure it's worth a $2-3/bottle premium.

/rant /

kaisersozei is offline   Reply With Quote