View Single Post
Old 02-24-2011, 03:25 PM   #1953
Will herf for food

First Name: Mike
Trading: (9)
VR
357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold357 is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: First Firearm Thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by druturn View Post
For some reason carrying a cocked and locked 1911 still just scares the bejesus out of me and I would rather carry a loaded and decocked DA USP. Anyways, any thoughts on these issues/questions fellas?
I am a huge 1911 fan. I carry my full size 38 oz "government" model. No matter what firearm you carry, get a good belt. Get a gun belt, or at least a two piece leather belt. They cut the pieces differently, one with and one against the grain. That way, when worn, the belt won't stretch. It will also be much more rigid and help support whatever gun you carry. "Gun belts" are almost always two piece and sometimes even have plastic inserts for even more rigidity.

As far as your concerns, do not be worried about carrying a 1911 cocked & locked. My Kimber has a fireing pin block that won't let it move until the grip safety is depressed. Then I still have to switch the thumb safety into position and pull the trigger to make it fire. It is not un-safe. That said, if you can't get over the mental hurdle, look for a different design. Many DAO type pistols have no real safety. IMO a cocked and locked 1911 is much safer.

If you haven't already shot both finalists, do so. If you have, it's really up to you. If I was going to get another pistol soon, it would be the Kimber CDP Pro-Carry. It is the 4 inch barrel with the full size grip, but it also has an aluminum alloy frame, trigicon 3-dot night sites, and an ambi thumb safety. I too am a big guy, and I can't stand my pinky hanging off of the grip of a firearm. Otherwise I'd move to the smaller "Ultra Carry" 3.5 inch barrel models.

Like cigars and our opinons of them, your advice will vary. Good luck.