View Single Post
Old 02-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #1554
Powers
Swamp Ash member in exile

First Name: Michael
Trading: (17)
Bolivar
Powers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to allPowers is a name known to all
Default Re: What's in your smoker?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokin Gator View Post
LOL... thanks Keith

Seriously though, and I don't know if this is fact, but the story I have heard is the original Brunswick Stew was made on the order of General Sherman. The story goes that he told the cooks they needed to come up with something since squirrel was so widely available.
I haven't heard that one before but no one really knows for sure where Brunswick stew came from. Best guesses are either from Brunswick, Georgia or Brunswick County Virginia. I would go with Virginia based on the fact that it's been around longer than the d*mn prison colony (yes, Georgia was founded as a penal colony. Go Gators)

But, my granny has a copy of Marjoire Kinnan Rawlings' cookbook, Cross Creek Cookery ( for Florida/Alachua County history), in which she claims that it originated from Braunschweig, Germany.

In short, who knows but I dang sure know it's slap-yo-grandmomma-good