pinotguy
Still Watching My Back

Trading: (13)
pinotguy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Fausto by Tatuaje

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
QFT

I don't care what the reason is ....it's getting ridiculous.

Tatuaje

Pork tenderloin - single store LE
Brown label - core line
Red label - core line
white label - defunct core line (soon to be re-introduced)
Drac - seasonal LE
frank - seasonal LE
boris - seasonal LE
face - seasonal LE
T110 - single store LE
Barclay - single store LE
Pork Chop - single store LE
outlaw - single store LE
La verite - annual LE concept cigar
Black tubo - line extension
Red tubo - line extension
black jar - original release LE, no longer made
Reserva - core line
East - regional LE, no longer made
west - regional LE, no longer made
anarchy - single store LE
sodo - single store LE
Cabaiguan - core line
La Riqueza - core line
RC 233 - line extension
RC 184 - line extension
Black Label PL - single store LE, then regular production

I'm sure there is at least 5-10 more I'm missing.

Excessive much? I think Petes attempting to compete with Gurkha and Rocky.

Another great point is Viaje does seasonals every year. So you can actually get the cigars again and the prices stay VERY reasonable. Cannot say the same for Tatuaje.
You're missing an important distinction with your list of Tats. Looking at the sticks you've mentioned, about half are LE's, either single-store, regional (Eastie and Westie), or a "seasonal", in the case of the Monster/Actor series. There are also several line extension sticks (the two Tubos, the RC's, and the Black Label PL) on your list as well. Do those really qualify as a new, seperate blend or brand?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill86 View Post
I've honestly only been impressed with about 4 Tatuajes. I also find their consistency
sucks. Their prices are pretty piss poor too. Viaje's are usually all around $10-$12 making them much more affordable. Tatuaje's are quite regularly $15-$16 (all the monster series, black tubos) or they are WAY too limited. I also find Tat limiteds to be gouged horrendously while Viaje's still stay close to what people have paid. Also a good point I've only had Tatuajes wrappers burst, no other cigar has done this.
I agree that even in the fairly recent past, the consistency level and, at times, the construction of Tatuaje has not been up to snuff. However, I'd submit that within the last year, this seems to have been addressed and the box-to-box consistency over that period has made a marked improvement, especially within the core lines.

Pricing will always be a debatable issue. The Monsters have always been MSRP'd at $13. Depending on what state they are located in (taxes, etc) and their individual value system, some retailers do charge more per stick. Prior to The Face, this was probably more of a problem because there were a lot less made. Pete had more of The Face produced, so availability was better and you saw fewer gougers.

As far as price gouging for Tat LE's on the secondary market, I'm not sure what to tell you. This happens all the time (give the cult wine scene a look-see) and I can't see how that should be a reflection on the producer.
pinotguy is offline   Reply With Quote