Thread: Tattoos?
View Single Post
Old 01-24-2011, 01:01 PM   #198
tx_tuff

Default Re: Tattoos?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave128
My brother has an angel on his chest for his infant son that died. What does the Koi stand for? I see quite a few pictures of them in this thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kjd2121 View Post
Well for me I just want a carp head in my underarm - lol. Here is some verbiage I found -

"In tattoo imagery, especially in combination with flowing water, it symbolizes much the same: courage, the ability to attain high goals, and overcoming life's difficulties." It is said that if the Koi can swim up and past the waterfalls at a point called Dragon Gate (on the Yellow River) it would be transformed into a dragon.

I personally like the Japanese symbolism and myths and think the Koi will compliment the Tiger. My Koi will be black and deep red. Not nearly as colorful as tx_tuff's Koi.
This is why my Koi is swimming up (as in up the yellow river). You will see some people get them swimming downward, but everybody does their own thing.

My Koi is orange and white with green eyes for a reason. The orange and white is because my girl (next Sat will be 9) still sleeps with a large Nemo fish I won for her at a carnival when she was 2. The green eyes is because my boy has green eyes, so have them both covered with the fish. Also have two cherry blossoms, one for her and one for him.