Old 01-16-2011, 05:37 PM   #2
CigarNut
F*ck Cancer!

First Name: Michael
Trading: (111)
RA
CigarNut has disabled reputation
Default Re: Beads + Gel ?

I will take a stab at this. First are your cigars smoking OK? If so, then there is no reason to panic.

Next, have you checked (tested and / or calibrated your hygrometer recently? If not that is the first step.

Third, have you checked your beads to see if they are still at your desired RH (I don't know what kind of beads you have, but the process to test this is the same for all cigar humidification beads -- Heartfelt, HCM, etc. NOT KL (beads in a ziplock with a hygrometer to check the RH). If your beads are at the desired RH then it sounds like you don't have enough beads for the size of your humidor. While you can certainly have too few beads, you can never have too much.

If your beads are not at the desired RH then you need to recharge them. Maybe recharging them a little higher to accomodate the lower ambient humidity would be a good idea.

As for the gel products: For the most part the gel products just release moisture. While the beads try to regulate RH. If the RH of your humidor is below the RH of your beads adding the gel products will raise the RH. I would not recommend putting it all in at once -- you want your RH to change slowly to avoid any damage to your cigars.

Good luck!

2 of 3 Requirements for use of the CA Rolodex: 100 posts/ 60 day membership/ participation in trade (trader rating). New members can be added at any time.
CigarNut is offline   Reply With Quote