View Single Post
Old 11-13-2010, 12:18 PM   #20
The Poet
Il megglior fabbro

First Name: Thomas
Trading: (2)
The Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud ofThe Poet has much to be proud of
Default Re: College Hoops Thread '10-'11

Most of Friday's action were the blowouts one would expect this time of year, what with the big boys holding scrimmages against the also-rans, and never-rans, of college ball, but I did find a baker's dozen of notable scores:

# 3 Kansas State 75 - James Madison 61 = Yes, it's a win. Yes, it's double-digits. But for a program with "national" aspirations, it is not much of a statement . . . or at least, a POSITIVE one.

# 8 North Carolina 80 - Lipscomb 66 = Ditto. Highly-touted (or hyped, if you prefer) freshman Harrison Barnes had a better game than he did in his exhibition debut against Div. II Barton, but the Heels could not shake the pesky Bisons until late . . . and that's no bull.

# 9 Florida 70 - N.C. Wilmington 60 = Dit-3. If Billy Donovan plans to shake up the SEC this year, he needs his boys to do better than this.

# 20 Georgetown 62 - Old Dominion 59 = I had a feeling this would be one hell of a game. ODU had 2 leads of 8 points in the second half, and the Hoyas needed a 13-2 run to swipe one from the Monarchs.

# 21 Virginia Tech 70 - Campbell 60 = And we're back to the "no damn good excuse for this" catagory. A 10-point win against the depleted Camels? In Blacksburg? Please.

# 22 Temple 62 - Seton Hall 56 = So, here's the cream of the A-10 against the dregs of the Big East, and in Philly to boot. Not a good sign for the Owls.

Amongst the unranked (as of today, anyway):

N.C. Asheville 70 - Auburn 69 (OT) = It's a bit of a shock to me. Hey, I realize Auburn's not the hoops program it used to be, but . . . c'mon.

Georgia 72 - Miss. Valley State 70 = Speaking of the SEC, aren't the Bulldogs supposed to be a darkhorse in the conference? If this is any judge, not likely.

Kent State 73 - Iona 72 = I noted late yesterday that these two decent mid-majors were in a barn-burner. Seems like it burned to the ground.

Princeton 78 - Rutgers 73 = The Tigers are supposed to compete for the Ivy this year. The Scarlet Knights are supposed to improve, next year. So, no surprise here . . . but still. Yes, it's early, but so far the Big East hasn't been all that big.

Stetson 89 - Wake Forest 79 = Nor is this much of a statement for the ACC. Everybody predicted the Deacs would not be very demonic this year, but . . . sheesh!

Appalachian State 89 - Tulsa 86 = So, Asheville won in Alabama, and the boys from Boone won in Oklahoma. There's a party in those hills today! Ya-HOOOOOO! Mountain Do-It-To-You!

Xavier 68 - Western MIchigan 65 = The Musketeers should have ridden the rebuilding Broncos right out of the gym, yet needed a big 2nd half to nudge them out the exit. This, as well as many of the above scores, makes me wonder if it is just because it's early, or if this season will be one confusing cluster-fark.

There are a goodly number of games today, but few of them seem interesting. For instance, who really cares, one way or the other, that Buffalo has already stomped Navy, 88-46? But I'll take another look through them, and be back later with some selections . . . with emphasis NOT on the "select" part of that word.
The Poet is offline   Reply With Quote