Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Should I send it back? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72247)

Useless legs 11-16-2016 11:10 AM

Should I send it back?
 
Hey all,
I recently decided to replace my first humidor with a nicer looking and better sealing model in order to protect my investment in high-quality smokes. I decided to go with something with drawers instead of the top that opens up and when the product arrived today only the drawers were made of cedar, the interior looks like a mahogany that has been finished. Should I send this thing back and get a refund or do you all think it will work?

dijit 11-16-2016 11:14 AM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
As long as the seal is good and the drawers are cedar lined I think you are good. Very few even high end humidors are made completely of cedar.

AdamJoshua 11-16-2016 11:35 AM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Any pictures or a link to the box?

Useless legs 11-16-2016 12:47 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
I have pictures but can't figure out how to resize them to upload them here

WhiteMamba 11-16-2016 02:05 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
use photo bucket or another photo sharing platform

icehog3 11-16-2016 02:12 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Yup, I have no clue how to advise you without seeing pictures.

MarkinCA 11-16-2016 03:15 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2107419)
Yup, I have no clue how to advise you without seeing pictures.

Use your visualization skills Tom;)

Porch Dweller 11-16-2016 03:41 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2107419)
Yup, I have no clue how to advise you without seeing pictures.

Interpretive dance would be best.

borndead1 11-16-2016 03:49 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Did you get it on eBay? I've seen a lot of garbage "humidors" being sold on eBay.

icehog3 11-16-2016 04:53 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MarkinCA (Post 2107426)
Use your visualization skills Tom;)

I have those? :D

T.G 11-16-2016 05:40 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Photos and any manufacturer info would be very helpful, but just fwiw, Spanish cedar, which is what is used for humidors, is actually in the mahogany family. Real cedar, like the use in closets for moths, or Lane Chests, or planked grilled salmon, is something you don't want your cigars in.

At one time mahogany was a common wood for humidors, spanish cedar gained popularity woth the makers due to its lower cost and better availability.

pnoon 11-16-2016 05:43 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Useless legs (Post 2107401)
Hey all,
I recently decided to replace my first humidor with a nicer looking and better sealing model in order to protect my investment in high-quality smokes. I decided to go with something with drawers instead of the top that opens up and when the product arrived today only the drawers were made of cedar, the interior looks like a mahogany that has been finished. Should I send this thing back and get a refund or do you all think it will work?

Lots of good questions in response to your post.

I have a few as well.
Where did you buy it? From a retailer or private party (ebay, craigslist, etc)?
Spanish cedar used in humidors is neither Spanish nor a cedar. It is more closely related to mahogany. The fact that the interior wood is "finished" raises concern for me but having more information and pictures would allow us to be of more help. I use Photobucket. Some use Flickr or other picture hosting sites to resize and link their pictures here.

The Poet 11-16-2016 07:44 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
If you have some tracing paper, Zack, I can lend you my Crayolas.

mosesbotbol 11-17-2016 09:10 AM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Is this humidor made from a respected company, known for humidors?

Useless legs 11-18-2016 04:39 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
1 Attachment(s)
http://http://s1380.photobucket.com/...tml?sort=3&o=0

Here's what it looks like, I bought it from a website that makes humidors, jewelry boxes and other things called American box.com

icehog3 11-18-2016 04:54 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Looking at their site, I would say their stuff is crap. If they will take it back, I'd send it back and get one from a company that specializes in strictly humidors.

kelmac07 11-18-2016 04:57 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2107617)
Looking at their site, I would say their stuff is crap. If they will take it back, I'd send it back and get one from a company that specializes in strictly humidors.

Agree with Tom on this one. :2

AdamJoshua 11-18-2016 04:59 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Let me be the first to say I do enjoy American box. :D

Seems to be the Caledonia HERE.

I think right off the bat I would get some food grade silicone and seal around the glass (inside the lid), boxes like that have been known to have issues with the seal around the glass, makes it hard to hold humidity. I'd also get a digital hygrometer for it and not rely on the build in analog.

Looks like a pretty typical humidor, except for the all the possible places is could leak, I'm guessing the draw seals are pretty tight? Or at least I'd expect them to tighten up once you season it.

icehog3 11-18-2016 08:01 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by AdamJoshua (Post 2107619)
I think right off the bat I would get some food grade silicone and seal around the glass (inside the lid), boxes like that have been known to have issues with the seal around the glass, makes it hard to hold humidity. I'd also get a digital hygrometer for it and not rely on the build in analog.

Yeah, or send it back. ;) ;s

stevieray 11-19-2016 12:53 PM

Re: Should I send it back?
 
Honestly, by looking at the photo, it would appear that a ziplock bag would be more air tight and hold humidity better than that humidor. :2


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 02:15 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.