Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   First online purchase (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=67254)

makers_fiend 07-22-2014 06:32 AM

First online purchase

So I took the plunge, for me anyway, and bought a 5 Vegas Limitada '13 10-pack. I have always bought from a B&M because I am still trying to find what I truly enjoy. Was this a good purchase for someone who likes RP Decades, AB American Classic, Romeo by RyJ, H.U 1844's?

Subvet642 07-22-2014 07:34 AM

Re: First online purchase

Quote:

Originally Posted by makers_fiend (Post 1975663)
So I took the plunge, for me anyway, and bought a 5 Vegas Limitada '13 10-pack. I have always bought from a B&M because I am still trying to find what I truly enjoy. Was this a good purchase for someone who likes RP Decades, AB American Classic, Romeo by RyJ, H.U 1844's?

5 Vegas is a solid marca, but only you can tell if you like them, which is the only thing that matters. You'll find a lot of reviews here if you poke around. If you read reviews of sticks you're familiar with and compare them with reviews of the Limatada, or what ever else you're curious about, it should help you get a sense of what you're looking at. That's what I do, anyway.

Oh BTW, Welcome aboard!:salute:

CigarNut 07-22-2014 07:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 1975673)
5 Vegas is a solid marca, but only you can tell if you like them, which is the only thing that matters. You'll find a lot of reviews here if you poke around. If you read reviews of sticks you're familiar with and compare them with reviews of the Limatada, or what ever else you're curious about, it should help you get a sense of what you're looking at. That's what I do, anyway.

:tpd:

czerbe 07-22-2014 08:03 AM

congrats on your purchase and the crazy idea of joining this nuthouse!

makers_fiend 07-22-2014 10:36 AM

Thank you guys. BTW I like to be crazy that's why I didn't go sign up for home quilting techniques with Emily. :noon

brigey57 07-22-2014 12:20 PM

Congratulation with your first on-line purchase and down the dark and slippery slope know by cigar smokers all over the world. Only you will be able to determine if it was a good purchase since it will be determined by the one person who can determine the quality and value of the purchase. Enjoy the smoke! :2 :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by makers_fiend (Post 1975663)

Porch Dweller 07-22-2014 12:50 PM

When I first started getting serious about cigars I ordered a lot - make that a LOT - of samplers from CI and FSS. It was a great way to try a wide variety of smokes and helped me determine what I do and do not like.

And if you're not already signed up for the Newbie Sampler Trade, I highly recommend it.

makers_fiend 07-22-2014 01:05 PM

I am second on the newbie waiting list. Thank you.
So I just got off the phone with CI and I have to say they were great. I made a severe newbie mistake and didn't research enough before delving in the MMAO arena. I bid 2X what they offered it at (still 37.5% cheaper than MSRP) and they changed my bill to match what they offered it at (37.5% of MSRP). I have found my online home.

nutcracker 07-22-2014 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makers_fiend (Post 1975760)
Thank you guys. BTW I like to be crazy that's why I didn't go sign up for home quilting techniques with Emily. :noon

If that's Emily in your avatar picture - you're nuts! One could quilt all day.....

makers_fiend 07-22-2014 01:34 PM

Nope, Carmen Electra. If that were Emily she would be locked up away from all you nutcases...

Porch Dweller 07-22-2014 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by makers_fiend (Post 1975810)
I am second on the newbie waiting list. Thank you.
So I just got off the phone with CI and I have to say they were great. I made a severe newbie mistake and didn't research enough before delving in the MMAO arena. I bid 2X what they offered it at (still 37.5% cheaper than MSRP) and they changed my bill to match what they offered it at (37.5% of MSRP). I have found my online home.

Yep, that's a lesson learned. MMAO & Cigarbid (a.k.a. The Devil Site) almost always list the MSRP for comparison even though they actually sell the item for less. Anytime I use MMAO or Cigarbid I keep other tabs open to CI, FSS, and a few other vendors to see what they actually sell for.

makers_fiend 07-22-2014 03:06 PM

A lesson well learned. Luckily I didn't have to suffer from my mistake.

badbriar 08-09-2014 09:40 PM

Welcome...
Now, to add to your hobby...
Check out Small Batch Cigars (free shipping), Atlantic Cigar, Holts and Cigar Federation. All are good people and each has unique offerings.
Beware of CAD (cigar acquisition disorder). That's what most of us are in the Asylum for!
:tu

RevSmoke 08-09-2014 10:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Subvet642 (Post 1975673)

Absolutely! You need to find what you like, and that is all that matters. When you put a cigar in your mouth, it is your own tastes that you must satisfy - even if it is a grape Swisher.

Stick around here long enough and read enough posts, you will find out whose tastes are similar to your own. Their reviews will be the most valuable. But even then, you probably will not agree 100%, so it ultimately boils down to you liking your own cigars. I have good friend who lives nearby, he and I enjoy many of the same sticks - BUT - not everything I love does he like, nor do I like all the sticks he enjoys.

As to your purchase, I hope you enjoy them. They are a solid stick and have many followers who enjoy them.

Welcome to the Asylum!

Peace of the Lord be with you.

BHalbrooks 08-09-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 1975834)
Yep, that's a lesson learned. MMAO & Cigarbid (a.k.a. The Devil Site) almost always list the MSRP for comparison even though they actually sell the item for less. Anytime I use MMAO or Cigarbid I keep other tabs open to CI, FSS, and a few other vendors to see what they actually sell for.

THIS. Some guys don't pay attention to what CI lists an item at, and will overbid. Pay attention to your bids too. It doesn't happen often, but some guys have bid $2,000 instead of $200.

If you like something, smoke it. No shame in your game bro.