Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Coffee Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=43)
-   -   I have questions? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=66144)

azar 04-14-2014 05:05 AM

I have questions?
 
Ok so I did my first roast went with the sumatra and about 1/2 way in to the 2nd crack. Then waited a day to grind the taste and flavor was ok but after 3 days it was better.( even my wife agreed? she also liked it? ) My question is did I grind to early and will the flavor still countinue to peak after it is ground or should I leave it full bean for 3-5 days? The ethiopean beans I did well they went away I will try it again next weekend. I burnt the sh!t out of them!
Mack

Blueface 04-14-2014 06:27 AM

Re: I have questions?
 
Grind when you are ready to brew and only what you will need for that brew.

stearns 04-14-2014 09:10 AM

Re: I have questions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueface (Post 1952401)
Grind when you are ready to brew and only what you will need for that brew.

:tu

I got my father a nice coffee grinder a couple years back, he switched to buying whole beans but grinds a full pound at a time. It kills me. Nothing better than grinding beans just before brewing, if for nothing else it's an appetizer for the nose, makes the whole room smell like the tasty coffee you're about to enjoy :dr

x man 04-14-2014 10:06 AM

Re: I have questions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by azar (Post 1952394)
Ok so I did my first roast went with the sumatra and about 1/2 way in to the 2nd crack. Then waited a day to grind the taste and flavor was ok but after 3 days it was better.( even my wife agreed? she also liked it? ) My question is did I grind to early and will the flavor still countinue to peak after it is ground or should I leave it full bean for 3-5 days? The ethiopean beans I did well they went away I will try it again next weekend. I burnt the sh!t out of them!
Mack

I`ve been roasting at home a few yrs.
I over roasted at 1st. then I learned,
Most beens are done into the 1st crack,
unless u want espresso beans.

forgop 04-15-2014 12:26 AM

Re: I have questions?
 
I beleive you want to wait at least 24 hours after roasting prior to grinding as I believe the beans are leaving off CO2 (which I've also read to leave the lid cracked after roasting).

From many of the cupping notes I've read on beans, it seems that most usually don't cup until the 3-5 day mark after roasting. Only grind what you'll use directly before brewing.

I don't know of the science behind it, but I figure these guys who've been home roasting for many years know what they're doing so I just folllow suit.

Garbandz 04-15-2014 02:23 PM

Re: I have questions?
 
once ground the coffee will not improve.

try a slower roast,you will get deeper flavors,and possibly a longer gap between first and second crack.

azar 04-15-2014 05:23 PM

Re: I have questions?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbandz (Post 1952945)
once ground the coffee will not improve.

try a slower roast,you will get deeper flavors,and possibly a longer gap between first and second crack.

Thanks guys I knew the answer was living here. A ton of good information here. Cigars and coffee! !

gravel 04-17-2014 12:23 AM

Re: I have questions?
 
I found that Sumatra beans benefit from longer off gassing times with 3 days being the best tasting for my cup. Earlier than that was subpar.

As for grinding only what you need - these guys nailed it.

As for roast profiles, try smaller batches at different finishing points. I likes my Sumatra at FC drifting to FC+. Africans generally tasted great in the C to C+ range and Central Americans C+ to FC. Your tastes will vary. :)


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 09:17 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.