Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Looking for a better grasp of Perique (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63764)

CoffeeWaterBeer 10-22-2013 09:05 AM

Looking for a better grasp of Perique

I'm looking for some input to clear up a misunderstanding I've just realized I have.

I bought some McClelland's St James Woods to experience a blend with a decent amount of perique in it. The tin note was vinegary/ketchupy which I attributed to the perique. All reading I've done point towards a fermented flavor profile. Now, after purchasing McClellands Dominican Glory Maduro and getting the same tin note, I venture over to tobaccoreviews.com and see that this ketchup aroma is prevalant in many (if not most) of their blends.

While I enjoy both of the aforementioned blends, I'm now not sure I have the slightest idea what I'm tasting when it comes to a perique or VaPer blend. I'd love some recommendations of blends with a prominent perique flavor so I can teach my palette to pick it out in more subtle blends.

hazydat620 10-23-2013 01:15 PM

Re: Looking for a better grasp of Perique

You have just experienced the infamous McC tin note. Some say the use ketchup in their blends, old codger tale, IDK, but it goes away with some time in a jar. Try some P.S. LBF, I will take this over OGS, DFM, and Escudo. It has such a richer taste than the others and at the price you can't go wrong. Anni. Kake is another good one, Brigham Arcadian is another I like. Those are a few that aren't going to break the bank when placing your next order. Throw some H&H Old campanion in there and you might not need to find something else for a while.

RevSmoke 10-23-2013 01:31 PM

If I could describe Perique in any way, it would be spicy raisins/prunes. That would be Perique in a nutshell. Get some and smoke it straight, that's the best way to tell what it is and pick it out in a blend. If you do so though, be forewarned... I'm just sayin'.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

688sonarmen 10-23-2013 02:03 PM

Bayou Morning is the best representation of Perique I have found. Just like Rev said with the profile.

Nick 10-23-2013 11:15 PM

Escudo and mcconnells scottish cake are my favorite vapers. Maybe try smoking a pure no nonsense virginia then of these other two blends and try to pick out the spicy pepperiness.

Also it may take alibg time for you to discern subtle nuances in different blends.

CoffeeWaterBeer 10-24-2013 12:58 PM

Thanks Gentlemen, sounds like I'll be heading in the right direction now. I've added these suggestions to my wish list and will be grabbing them soon.

I do notice the vinegary aroma of McC dissipates a bit as the tobacco dries out some an d is jarred. My plan is to grab a 4/pk of cobs from Cup'o'Joes as well for tasting new blends. Once I learn to taste differences better than I do now, I'll try doubling up on tins and cellering some to experiment with age.

Thanks again All *cheers*