Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   Dry aging beef? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40766)

jonumberone 01-02-2011 07:03 AM

Dry aging beef?
 
I've been kicking around the idea of trying to dry age a prime rib roast at home.
Any body ever attempted this?
Any tips? Any horror stories?
I've read up on it, but i'm still hesitant about starting what amounts to a $300+ experiment that if it goes wrong could poison my family.
If it fails and I can find a way to only feed it to my in-laws, it might not be that bad ;)
Hoping to make it for Easter dinner.
Thanks in advance

MiamiE 01-02-2011 07:14 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
You can use your own fridge from what I have seen. Lowest level, on a metal rack with a pan underneath to catch the drippings. Paper towel on top of the meat, constantly changing the towels. I will be trying this next week when I get back.

jonumberone 01-02-2011 07:17 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by MiamiE (Post 1115670)
You can use your own fridge from what I have seen. Lowest level, on a metal rack with a pan underneath to catch the drippings. Paper towel on top of the meat, constantly changing the towels. I will be trying this next week when I get back.

Thats about what i read too, only difference was to use cheese cloth instead of paper towels. However if paper towels work it would help keep costs down over the 3 months I plan on doing this.

MiamiE 01-02-2011 07:20 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
I am sure paper towels work just as well. The first day or two youll probably have to change out the paper every few hours as it soaks the blood.

MarioF 01-02-2011 07:23 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
I think the first thing I would try would be a couple thick steaks for a few days, then again maybe for 20 days or so. Then I would try the prime rib. From most of the research I have done most recommend around 25-30 days. Good luck and let us know how it turns out.

Smokin Gator 01-02-2011 07:37 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
I have never heard of anyone dry aging cuts of meats. Obviously it is done if you guys know a method. We used to dry age all the whole carcasses of beef that we killed. There is a BIG difference in the taste.

For our BBQ competition briskets we wet age them. We leave them in the cryovac for 45 days or until we start seeing the air bubbles develop. I don't think it makes that much difference in the taste, but they do seem more tender.

MiamiE 01-02-2011 07:45 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
I have seen dry aging of individual steaks but I would really only do a whole ribeye or loin. Also make sure its USDA Prime or USDA Choice! The good stuff!

MiamiE 01-02-2011 07:48 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Check this thread out. Dry aging individual steaks seems to defeat the purpose though, because you would have to trim the ends.... ?????

http://www.botl.org/community/forums...ad.php?t=47831

jonumberone 01-02-2011 07:52 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
I have seen cuts of meat dry aged in steakhouses around the city. Most have views of the aging room inside and a few have views from the street.
I agree about the individual steaks, I expect to lose +30% over the process. If done on individual steaks I don't know if anything would be left to eat.
Brent could you enlighten me on wet aging?

T.G 01-02-2011 08:10 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Check this slick arrangement out: Steamykitchen tests the Drybag aging system


I think Alton Brown did something on dry aging steaks too at some point, but I might be mistaken and I don't remember where I saw it - online or in one of his books. I'll look for it in a bit and go check my books that he authored.

CasaDooley 01-02-2011 03:17 PM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonumberone (Post 1115665)
I've been kicking around the idea of trying to dry age a prime rib roast at home.
Any body ever attempted this?
Any tips? Any horror stories?
I've read up on it, but i'm still hesitant about starting what amounts to a $300+ experiment that if it goes wrong could poison my family.
If it fails and I can find a way to only feed it to my in-laws, it might not be that bad ;)
Hoping to make it for Easter dinner.
Thanks in advance

Dom, I like the way you think!:r

Springsman 01-02-2011 03:20 PM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
*drooooool* God I love aged beef.... mmmmmmmm

gpugliese 01-02-2011 03:41 PM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Here's a thread from ICC I found useful last year:

http://www.internationalcigarclub.co...read.php?20750

forgop 01-02-2011 04:16 PM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Perhaps this is what my prescription drug addict/hoarder aunt is doing with the 3 month old hamburger my uncle attempted to throw in the trash last week, only to have her put it back in the fridge?

LostAbbott 01-02-2011 10:24 PM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
I have dry aged my Elk meat before. Typically I hang in in the cold garage for a week or two quartered and wrapped in cheese cloth, let it drip on a tarp.

jonumberone 01-03-2011 05:00 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1115708)
Check this slick arrangement out: Steamykitchen tests the Drybag aging system

Might give this a try on a Costco cut of meat first before I attempt it with a prime cut.
The butchers I talked to recommended aging for 60 to 90 days, so the 21 days with this system is tempting.
Most of what I found online recommends 21 days as well.

mosesbotbol 01-03-2011 05:34 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpugliese (Post 1116160)
Here's a thread from ICC I found useful last year:

http://www.internationalcigarclub.co...read.php?20750

Hey, that's me...

jonumberone 01-03-2011 05:54 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by gpugliese (Post 1116160)
Here's a thread from ICC I found useful last year:

http://www.internationalcigarclub.co...read.php?20750

A lot of good info here!

Moses, do you leave the meat unwrapped or are you covering with paper towels or cheesecloth?

mosesbotbol 01-03-2011 06:22 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonumberone (Post 1116880)
A lot of good info here!

Moses, do you leave the meat unwrapped or are you covering with paper towels or cheesecloth?

I only cover it if the paper towels keep getting "bloody". If there is no dripping or juice on the surface, I leave it "as is". You can paper towel it the first night or two, just keep changing the towels.

I would be cautious using cotton towels as you don't want laundry detergent residue to touch the meat. You can paper towels against the meat then the cotton towel wrapped so it does not touch the meat direct.

replicant_argent 01-03-2011 06:45 AM

Re: Dry aging beef?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by jonumberone (Post 1116842)
Might give this a try on a Costco cut of meat first before I attempt it with a prime cut.

Actually, my local Costco sells prime as well as choice. They are both.... quite good.
Usually I buy my ribeye loins and wet age them for an additional week or so, before steaking it out. While this isn't as long as some folks, it hasn't ever sucked, even with the Choice grades. I go through about 3-4 of them a year.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 06:23 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2017, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.