Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   A Wurst rant (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=31771)

RevSmoke 05-07-2010 02:22 PM

A Wurst rant

OK, so I have a huge pet peeve and it goes like this.

A wurst is defined as a medium or large sausage.

Now then, Bratwurst are specific type of wurst, and are made by mixing ground meat (usually pork, but maybe adding other meats) to a specific style seasoning which gives it a typical brat flavor.

Now, there are all sorts of places which are making different kinds of brats. In fact, a local store boasts of over 30 different types of brats. So, being curious I inquired, expecting such things as beef brats, venison brats, chicken brats, turkey brats, etc... The meat might change, but the seasoning remained the same.

But no, that's not it at all. They had Cajun-brats, jalepeno brats, cheddar-brats, pepper jack-brats, chili-brats, and others. I asked, "so, do they all have the normal brat seasonings in them? To which I was informed they do not. OK, so since when did -brat become the new -wurst? It seems rather simple that since a brat is a specific type of wurst, how did brat come to be the new replacement for wurst?

Since wurst means sausage, and a brat is only one specific type of sausage, shouldn't they sport wurst name for sausage? cheddar-wurst, Cajun-wurst, chili-wurst, pizza-wurst, etc...

I think they are trying to say that they are smaller sausages that go on a bun, but still, they are not brats. I mean, they have brat patties next to the bratwurst, and they have the same seasoning as their regular brats. I am OK with that, for they use the typical brat seasonings.

OK, so this just frustrates me, and I don't know why. But thanks anyway for letting me rant. I feel better.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

kydsid 05-07-2010 02:25 PM

Re: A Wurst rant

Not enough Germans left in the US for it to be used correctly. Welcome to bastardization 101. You think Indian Fry Bread is Indian? FWIW it bugs the hell out of me too. But if the place has good beer by the end of the meal I forget why I was mad. :D

P.S. Frieden des Lords mit Ihnen. ;)

RevSmoke 05-07-2010 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kydsid (Post 852088)
Not enough Germans left in the US for it to be used correctly. Welcome to bastardization 101. You think Indian Fry Bread is Indian? FWIW it bugs the hell out of me too. But if the place has good beer by the end of the meal I forget why I was mad. :D

P.S. Frieden des Lords mit Ihnen. ;)

Hey, this was a butcher shop - owned and operated by the same family for a couple generations. They even have a guy who speaks with a German accent.

P.S. Unt mit dir!

hotreds 05-07-2010 02:42 PM

That's the wurst rant I've ever read!

;s:D

Der Frieden Gottes mit dir, mein Freund!

md4958 05-07-2010 02:59 PM

'Cause nobody knows what a Wurst is Todd. Most people know what a Brat is though.

Eleven 05-07-2010 04:08 PM

Thats it! From this point on I will embrace my German heritage and start correcting these fools and their Brat-Errors!

OK, so other than my Grandfather being stationed there, my family hasn't lived in Germany since the late 1600's, but I shall endeavor to persevere!

Vorb 05-07-2010 04:52 PM

Well, it's like how all fru-fru drinks served in a martini glass are all
somehow <chocomintafruitrollup>-tinis... :td

Bugs the heck out of me too.

Ratters 05-07-2010 05:21 PM

Oh man, makes me want to go check the fridge for some liverwurst. :D

Kreth 05-07-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratters (Post 852255)

I thought I was the only one. :r
My wife thinks it's disgusting that I consider liverwurst a snack food... :r:r:r
Posted via Mobile Device

SeanGAR 05-07-2010 06:20 PM

And raisin bread ... for *&^% sakes, they put raisins in it of all things.

Starscream 05-07-2010 06:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanGAR (Post 852291)
And raisin bread ... for *&^% sakes, they put raisins in it of all things.

:r:r

chippewastud79 05-07-2010 06:59 PM

If they still use the bratwurst meat but then add other special goodies like japalenos and cheese, can they still be classified as brats? Or are you strictly a purist where only unmolested bratwursts can have the preface of brat? :hm

RevSmoke 05-07-2010 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippewastud79 (Post 852315)
If they still use the bratwurst meat but then add other special goodies like japalenos and cheese, can they still be classified as brats? Or are you strictly a purist where only unmolested bratwursts can have the preface of brat? :hm

That's not a brat - sorry. A bratwurst should taste like a bratwurst, and not like something else - it shouldn't taste like a cheddarwurst, or liverwurst, or weisswurst, or mettwurst, or knackwurst, or anything else. With those seasonings you list, and the casing it is put into to make it a sausage, it can most definitely be a wurst, in fact it might be the best-wurst ever, but a brat(wurst) has specific parameters for seasonsing.

There are all kinds of places that make brat patties. Yes, shaped like a burger to go on a bun. They are rightly brat-somethings because of the seasonings.

I make a venison (or other wild game)/jalepeno/cheddar-wurst that also has a bit of pork, I even add some of the brat type seasoning (and some others) and make it about the same size as a brat, and intend it to be eaten on a bun. Often, the recipe varies, adding onions, or cajun seasoning, or all sorts of stuff. Sometimes we make the same recipe twice. Some recipes we keep around and make regularly. Sometimes, we've even tried to come up with a name for the great-wursts we make around our home, but we don't call it a brat.

But again, this is only my personal proclivity and nobody else is bound to my opinion on the matter.

Peace of the Lord be with you.

RevSmoke 05-07-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vorb (Post 852232)
Well, it's like how all fru-fru drinks served in a martini glass are all
somehow <chocomintafruitrollup>-tinis... :td

Bugs the heck out of me too.

Amen brother, preach it. Might be a tasty drink, but they ain't martini. And by the way, I am not a fan of martinis whatsoever. But it just ain't right!

PAX

Ratters 05-07-2010 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreth (Post 852259)
My wife thinks it's disgusting that I consider liverwurst a snack food... :r:r:r
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh, I love the stuff. Mostly I just spread it on saltines. It's like salt in paste form. My fiance swore she hated it until I made her try some. Now she loves it.

MarkinAZ 05-07-2010 10:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratters (Post 852255)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreth (Post 852259)
My wife thinks it's disgusting that I consider liverwurst a snack food...
Posted via Mobile Device

Nothing better than having a couple slices of rye bread. No, make that dark rye with mustard and mayo. Pile on several slices of your favorite liverwurst, and then top it off with several slices of muenster cheese. A good beer is manditory and life is good:=:

joeobx 05-07-2010 11:32 PM

I think a lot of it is marketing.... brat is easer to sell than wurst, which reminds people of liver.

Don Fernando 05-08-2010 01:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RevSmoke (Post 852084)

Now then, Bratwurst are specific type of wurst, and are made by mixing ground meat (usually pork, but maybe adding other meats) to a specific style seasoning which gives it a typical brat flavor.

and this is where you go wrong Rev
Quote:

A bratwurst (pronounced [ˈbʁaːtvʊɐst] De-Bratwurst.ogg (help·info)) is a sausage usually composed of veal, pork or beef. The name is German, derived from Old High German brätwurst, from brät-, which is finely chopped meat and -wurst, or sausage. Though the brat in bratwurst describes the way the sausages are made, it is often misconstrued to be derived from the German verb "braten", which means to pan fry or roast.[1] Bratwurst are usually grilled and sometimes cooked in broth or beer.
Brat is finely chopped meat, not the seasoning.

pmwz 05-08-2010 01:43 AM

let me as geman guy explain you what bratwurst means:
Bratwurst comes fom the geman words Brät = chopped/ground beaf + wurst =sausage. If the sausage made out of brät you can call it Bratwurst.

CigarNut 05-08-2010 03:43 PM

It's time for a cigar! I think I will have a corndog on a stick with that...