Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Camacho SLR Review (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12390)

cigar coach 03-19-2009 03:48 PM

Camacho SLR Review

This is my first review...here goes.
Tried a Churchill Camacho SLR at Timothy's Fine Tobacco's in Bay City, MI today. I wanted something full bodied (to my palate) and had been wanting to try one of these.
Nice dark maduro wrapper that was a bit rough looking. The seams were pretty pronouced and the stick was a bit "rough looking": somewhat uneven in terms of roundness and overall appearance, but nothing that bad. Pleasant pre-light aroma.
Upon lighting the initial taste was a bit bitter but that quickly went away after 2-3 puffs (about 1/8 inch). The cigar settled down and cream tones dominated with hints of Earth as well. Definitely only medium bodied at this point.
About 1/3 of the way through, the creaminess subsided a bit and the Earth tones picked up, along with some floral notes. This is also when the strength also began to pick up.
Roughly 1/2 way through, the same Earth and floral tones were still there and the strength continued to come on seemingly with each puff.
About 3/4 through the creaminess was nearly gone but the Earth and floral tines dominated. By then I was buzzing pretty good; definitely full bodied at this point. My only real complaint with the SLR is that every time the ash got to around 1 inch to an inch and a half, the darn thing went out. Had to re-light each time the ash got to that length. Re-lights did not damage the flavor but it was definitely annoying.
By the time I let it die, I had been smoking it consistantly for nearly 2 hours and was really buzzing; probably shouldn't have driven home right away but other things needed to be done at home. :(
Overall it was nice cigar and I enjoyed it. I will buy more in the future when I want something this strong but because of the re-light issues, I won't be buying a box of the SLR's. Hope this helps others cinsidering the SLR :r

tobii3 03-19-2009 03:55 PM

Re: Camacho SLR Review

Being a Camacho 'Ho, I can tell ya that they were probably a wee bit wet if you kept having to relight.

The Camacho SLR has always been a favorite of mine!

Starscream 03-19-2009 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tobii3 (Post 294838)
Being a Camacho 'Ho, I can tell ya that they were probably a wee bit wet if you kept having to relight.

The Camacho SLR has always been a favorite of mine!

:tpd: on both accounts. The SLR is a great stick, but it sounds like you had a wet stick. Let 'em rest for a while before you try another.

cigar coach 03-19-2009 04:14 PM

It may have been a bit wet. Timothy's does a great job keeping their sticks at 70% but it was a newer box that may have just come into the store. Like I said, I will definitely try more.