Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Calling Chicago BOTL's (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=61113)

mahtofire14 03-20-2013 04:51 AM

Calling Chicago BOTL's

I'm heading to Chicago for my birthday this weekend with my girlfriend. I haven't been there in about 8 years and it was with a pack of buddies. What I am wondering is what are some cool things to see other than Sears Tower and the aquarium. Also, I have heard mixed thoughts on the "L" and it's safety in the after hours. My girlfriend and I are flying out there and won't have a car so this is something we are planning on using in the evening/night. Thanks for the help in advance guys.

icehog3 03-20-2013 09:17 AM

Re: Calling Chicago BOTL's

Navy Pier is a good destination, lots to do there.

Too bad the Blackhawks don't play, she could treat you to a game.

The L is relatively safe when there is a man in the group, and you just keep to yourselves.

AdamJoshua 03-20-2013 09:21 AM

Museum of Science and Industry (with an entire german sub) or if you like Dinos there's the Field museum, but I'm guessing since no car you might cab it to them, still something to do.

BHalbrooks 03-20-2013 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1809627)
The L is relatively safe when there is a man in the group, and you just keep to yourselves.

That makes me wanna go to Chicago never. Boston's Public transport is safer than that lol

icehog3 03-20-2013 09:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHalbrooks (Post 1809635)
That makes me wanna go to Chicago never. Boston's Public transport is safer than that lol

Yeah, they are a little gentler in Boston. Pinkies up. ;)

BHalbrooks 03-20-2013 09:48 AM

Pffft yea ok.

Maybe it's safe when you're around, I've seen those pipes.

mahtofire14 03-20-2013 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1809627)
Navy Pier is a good destination, lots to do there.

Too bad the Blackhawks don't play, she could treat you to a game.

We're staying in Oak Park which I've heard is nice and right by the Wright museum which I'm excited for. I also though about a Blackhawks game but figured I wouldn't be able to get tickets anyway. Also I really wish I could hit a nice B&M with a couple of you guys but I don't think I could talk the lady into that unfortunately

icehog3 03-20-2013 02:22 PM

I'm out of town this weekend or I already would have suggested a meet-up, Pete.

Oak Park is nice, just stay stay away from Austin at I290. ;)

AdamJoshua 03-20-2013 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHalbrooks (Post 1809635)

You don't go through roxbury much do you :r

This is all you need to know about asking for directions in Chicago

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BRJnEbt89w8

BHalbrooks 03-20-2013 03:50 PM

Haha roxbury isn't that bad anymore like it used to be.

maninblack 03-20-2013 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHalbrooks (Post 1809642)
Pffft yea ok.

Maybe it's safe when you're around, I've seen those pipes.

Man crush.:r

BHalbrooks 03-20-2013 04:16 PM

Jealousy :r
Sorry, done being off topic.

EricF 03-20-2013 04:30 PM

I was there a few years ago and went to UpDown Cigars in Old Town. Small, but a nice place.

chippewastud79 03-20-2013 05:45 PM

If you like beer, try Haymarket Pub and Brewery, lots of good beers to be had and the food is pretty good too. :tu

icehog3 03-20-2013 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chippewastud79 (Post 1809869)
If you like beer, try Haymarket Pub and Brewery, lots of good beers to be had and the food is pretty good too. :tu

Goose Island Brewpub is another good one for beer lovers....

http://www.gooseisland.com/pages/cly...brewpub/65.php

omowasu 03-20-2013 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mahtofire14 (Post 1809760)
We're staying in Oak Park which I've heard is nice and right by the Wright museum which I'm excited for. I also though about a Blackhawks game but figured I wouldn't be able to get tickets anyway. Also I really wish I could hit a nice B&M with a couple of you guys but I don't think I could talk the lady into that unfortunately

There is a ton of stuff to do in your area. Just in Oak Park alone, they have a Frank Lloyd Wright house and studio tour throughout the day and tours of the Unity Temple, both of which are national landmarks and defining of the Prarie Style of architecture. If you get on a Wright kick, go tour the Rookery downtown on LaSalle or the Robie House near UoC. If you hit the Rookery, visit Jack Schawrz Importers at 141 W. Jackson on the 1st floor.

Take her to the former Sears Tower (now the Willis Tower), hit the 101st floor and go out on the glasswalks for a picture that will last a lifetime. Just dont look down!

Take the train to the Chicago Loop and spend the day on Michigan Avenue. Visit Heaven on Seven for lunch (one of my faves) or Bandera on Michigan.

You really cant miss in Chicago - tell us more of your interests and we will get you there.

As for train safety, Scott II rule #1 for taking the CTA anywhere is to make sure you get on the RIGHT train! Study the maps! If you end up late drinking downtown, take a cab - it will run $20-$40 to Oak Park, but they are safe and ubiquitous.