Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Good Eats (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=40)
-   -   PBS cooking shows? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=27662)

kgoings 04-14-2010 02:12 PM

Re: PBS cooking shows?

Gonna have to check these out!

OLS 04-14-2010 02:17 PM

A.T.K. is the funniest show. The host is kind of a nerdy type, but the one that
gets me going is the guy that tests the kitchen tools, kind of a mouth-breather
chubby cat, who's dad is very likely the show's producer. :D

bigswol2 04-14-2010 02:23 PM

Wok With Yan was my favorite as a kid.

Kreth 04-14-2010 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 828129)
A.T.K. is the funniest show. The host is kind of a nerdy type, but the one that
gets me going is the guy that tests the kitchen tools, kind of a mouth-breather
chubby cat, who's dad is very likely the show's producer. :D

He seems to know what he's doing. We've picked up a few utensils based on his recommendations.
Posted via Mobile Device

OLS 04-14-2010 02:47 PM

Oh, yeah, he def separates the wheat from the chaff. Well, the dudes that work for him, lol.

mosesbotbol 04-14-2010 03:09 PM

I think the woman and I are going Ming Tsai's "Blue Ginger" tonight. It's 10 miles from my house. She may have a different idea on where she wants to go. We've been wanting to go there for a while. She is on school vacation next week, so perhaps lunch instead then?

Scottw 04-14-2010 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 828184)
I think the woman and I are going Ming Tsai's "Blue Ginger" tonight. It's 10 miles from my house. She may have a different idea on where she wants to go. We've been wanting to go there for a while. She is on school vacation next week, so perhaps lunch instead then?

Get the Lemongrass Lobster or the vinegar shrimp for appetizers. He has a great wine list as well.

Chainsaw13 04-14-2010 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreth (Post 828109)
I've been trying to figure out the difference between America's Test Kitchen and Cook's Country. Cook's Country has a live audience for the taste testing, other than that, the shows seem identical. :confused:
Posted via Mobile Device

Same here. I like then both though, way better than just about anything on FoodNetwork.

OLS 04-14-2010 06:10 PM

Oh yeah, I watched the entire last season of ATK a year or so ago, til the re-run cycle came around.
I am fascinated by the whole concept of the show. I think they also went out of their way to have a kind of
'everyman' staff of talent, as opposed to a show full of Giadas or Erin Andersons.

Kreth 04-14-2010 06:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 828349)
Oh yeah, I watched the entire last season of ATK a year or so ago, til the re-run cycle came around.
I am fascinated by the whole concept of the show. I think they also went out of their way to have a kind of
'everyman' staff of talent, as opposed to a show full of Giadas or Erin Andersons.

One of the things I like on ATK is how they show where the different cuts of meat come from, and talk about the pros and cons of each for the demo recipe.
Posted via Mobile Device

mosesbotbol 04-14-2010 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Scottw (Post 828191)
Get the Lemongrass Lobster or the vinegar shrimp for appetizers. He has a great wine list as well.

Ah man... Ended up going to Changsho Restaurant in Cambridge. It's an excellent Chinese/American place that has a parking lot! Go figure for Cambridge. Awesome Scorpian Bowls... :banger

OLS 04-15-2010 06:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreth (Post 828374)
One of the things I like on ATK is how they show where the different cuts of meat come from, and talk about the pros and cons of each for the demo recipe.
Posted via Mobile Device

Hahah, I love the roll around cow with the diagrams painted on it. Wish I HAD it to tell you the truth.

Kreth 04-15-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OLS (Post 828806)
Hahah, I love the roll around cow with the diagrams painted on it. Wish I HAD it to tell you the truth.

To display in your kitchen, or for poker night bull riding? :r
Posted via Mobile Device

OLS 04-15-2010 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kreth (Post 828962)
To display in your kitchen, or for poker night bull riding? :r
Posted via Mobile Device

Nude photo shoots with teenage girls...same reason for every odd prop I own.