Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   What line do you use to discribe a BAD CIGAR? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74601)

SurfnSafari 11-13-2018 08:46 AM

What line do you use to discribe a BAD CIGAR?

Every now and again someone give me a stick, if it bad, and they ask later how was that _______, I gifted you?

When I will never buy another one, I try & be polite. I say, "it was intresting".

I am not expert, and I know there are brands, and blends I hate. That other love.:noon

It all boils down to smoke with you personally love, price is just price. -(P

AdamJoshua 11-13-2018 11:24 AM

Re: What line do you use to discribe a BAD CIGAR?

Just remember it’s the thought that counts. When someone gifts me something i know I’m not going to smoke I’m very gracious for the thought, and that’s true, if they ask me why I’m not smoking it I’ll usually say I’m going to save it and smoke it when i have time to really enjoy it.

kelmac07 11-13-2018 11:40 AM

While it is the thought that counts, I will not accept something that I know I will not smoke. I simply thank them for the offer and tell them to give it to someone who will appreciate it. :2

Ashcan Bill 11-13-2018 11:49 AM

Usually I'll just smile thoughtfully and tell them it brought to mind the flavor profile of an aged Cremosa or Hacienda Rio. And I sincerely thank them regardless of whether it was good or bad.

Of course, if it's a good friend I may be a bit more direct in my analysis. :D

icehog3 11-13-2018 12:08 PM

"It wasn't a bad cigar, just not really in my wheelhouse".

markem 11-13-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2163405)
"It wasn't a bad cigar, just not really in my wheelhouse".

:tpd:

SurfnSafari 11-13-2018 12:52 PM

Its like what my favorite, can name one, but their sure are the ones I would smoke more of. Back in the 1950's, and 1960's there was no were the number of Cigar brands for sale as today. Most common Cigars were White Owls, El Productos, and Dutch Masters.

Today between the big names there are hundreds of Boutique brands. Some are only found online, or have limited distribution because they Boutique brand just have limited distribution.

Like I told someone this past weekend like what you smoke, smoke with you like, keep trying new thing, you might find a new love.:tu

SurfnSafari 11-13-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 2163398)
While it is the thought that counts, I will not accept something that I know I will not smoke. I simply thank them for the offer and tell them to give it to someone who will appreciate it. :2

If someone offer me a stick I will take it, and try it. Why because I might find something I love.

Cigar shop near my home, Everytime I go over to buy some stick give me one of their "house blends", have never had one I would not buy.

All their house blend are made by big name companies for them, they all great so far, and the bet part is their $3.50-$5.00 a stick.

kelmac07 11-13-2018 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SurfnSafari (Post 2163411)
If someone offer me a stick I will take it, and try it. Why because I might find something I love.

Cigar shop near my home, Everytime I go over to buy some stick give me one of their "house blends", have never had one I would not buy.

All their house blend are made by big name companies for them, they all great so far, and the bet part is their $3.50-$5.00 a stick.

Hence the reason I said "if I KNOW I will not smoke it, I won't accept it". Will never smoke another Connecticut wrapped cigar...end of story. No need in "wasting" a stick that I know I will not enjoy. I've been gifted a ton of cigars and enjoyed most of them.

SurfnSafari 11-13-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 2163412)
Hence the reason I said "if I KNOW I will not smoke it, I won't accept it". Will never smoke another Connecticut wrapped cigar...end of story. No need in "wasting" a stick that I know I will not enjoy. I've been gifted a ton of cigars and enjoyed most of them.

Well I would not accept anything infused like an Acid.:pu. Anything else I migh take.:)

BigAsh 11-13-2018 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 2163412)

Hmmm...sounds like you just signed up for the newsletter....:r

kelmac07 11-13-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAsh (Post 2163415)
Hmmm...sounds like you just signed up for the newsletter....:r

There you go Keith. :su :su :su

Weelok 11-13-2018 03:16 PM

I’m in the grateful for gift crowd and then stuck with sticks I will smoke eventually unless they are flavored then a I will accept but they are for the wife when she annually smokes a cigar with me. I will explain that I’m grateful but my palate generally enjoys such and such types however my wife will like this.

If I’m smoking a series of cigars in one setting, after two it almost doesn’t matter what I smoke as I can’t taste anything and actually I start preferring mild cigars so I don’t get a nicotine hangover.

Gifted cigars seem to range the gambits from flavored to popular Dominicans which are nice but not really in my wheel house, e.g. a brother-in-law just gifted me two Cohiba Red Dots and I will smoke them eventually but I gifted back two CC’s and now he and his buddies want to get more hah. I think he was a little annoyed I didn’t fire up the Cohiba Red Dot right away but I was mid H Upmann Anejado so nuff said.

GTS21 11-14-2018 10:08 AM

I typically go with "Tastes like something Tom would smoke"...

icehog3 11-14-2018 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTS21 (Post 2163448)

Hysterical. And I get many of my cigars from MK05 too. :su

GTS21 11-14-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2163454)
Hysterical. And I get many of my cigars from MK05 too. :su

LOL :banger

DBall 11-14-2018 05:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GTS21 (Post 2163448)

Weird, mine is, "tastes like some of that crap Eric smokes!"

GTS21 11-19-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DBall (Post 2163467)
Weird, mine is, "tastes like some of that crap Eric smokes!"

:sl

:D

icehog3 11-19-2018 03:04 PM

I will revise mine to say, "If it didn't come from mk05, it's crap!" :D

gomeitsmybday 11-20-2018 06:05 PM

I would probably go with the “eh, not bad but not my thing...” then thank the person/friend again for sharing...except flavored, I would have to explain politely that it would be a waste to gift them to me as I wouldn’t smoke them...
It really is interesting how much taste preference can vary from person to person...I gave the gf a cuba libre brute last weekend, as *I* think it’s a nice tasty treat for the price, and as she smoked it in our cigar cabin (lawnmower shed) 1/3 in, she began grimacing like a child being forced to eat asparagus..
I read an article a while back about how a persons preference for cilantro is heavily influenced by genetics...I can only assume cigar taste is similar (talking taste/flavor here, not profile/body) sorry-I’ll stop rambling lol