Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Got My Edgestar 28 Today (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=30469)

SSDVC 03-31-2010 06:18 PM

Got My Edgestar 28 Today

Damn ! Double boxed, Styrofoamed on all ends and in perfect condition. Tomorrow I will wash it out with baking soda as recommended and then leave it open for about a week or two. Man, it does smell in there!

Chasdor shelves on order, can't wait.

I thnk I am going to get the shelia beads, 2 8oz bags for the main body, and one 2oz for each drawer (2 singles and 2 doubles).

Got my hydrometer from Walmat yesterday and will conduct a test on her starting tomorrow.

It's Christmas at Easter !

kelmac07 03-31-2010 06:40 PM

Re: Got My Edgestar 28 Today

Congrats...you are gonna love it!! :tu

SSDVC 04-01-2010 06:08 AM

Prep for soda bath this morning. Noticed that the entire interior is plastic. Is this how the older ones are constructed?

I also noticed there is a light in the top interior panel. I am not going to be running the "compressor" to cool it down (I don't think I'll need to) but I will plug it in to use the light. I was wondering if anyone has replaced that light with a more effective LED type (less heat too).

Also, the only "drain" hole I found was 1/2 way up the back wall. it empties into a tray. I actually found a rubber plug at Home Depot that fits perfectly to seal it.

Am I missing anything else?

postjack 04-01-2010 09:33 AM

sounds like you got all your bases covered. I bought mine a year ago and the interior is all plastic. took a few scrubs with dawn and thorough rinses, followed by a couple weeks of just leaving baking soda in the fridge while it ran, to get the smell pretty much gone. what got it completely gone was time and filling it with cigars.

I just plugged my hole with duct tape on the inside and outside. works fine.

irklak 04-01-2010 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDVC (Post 812948)
Prep for soda bath this morning. Noticed that the entire interior is plastic. Is this how the older ones are constructed?

I also noticed there is a light in the top interior panel. I am not going to be running the "compressor" to cool it down (I don't think I'll need to) but I will plug it in to use the light. I was wondering if anyone has replaced that light with a more effective LED type (less heat too).

Also, the only "drain" hole I found was 1/2 way up the back wall. it empties into a tray. I actually found a rubber plug at Home Depot that fits perfectly to seal it.

congrats! Love mine.

If you plug it in, the compressor starts at least on mine, so you can't just run the light. Just fyi.

Bartolomeo 04-01-2010 11:47 AM

Only suggestion I would make is to get a CPU fan to move some air around, other than that, sounds like your ready to go

BTW, make sure to get plastic smell out before introducing cigars.......after you think its out, shut the door and come back in an hour to smell it again just to make sure

Bart

jjon90 04-01-2010 02:54 PM

Do you all think running an Avallo Accumonitor in the Edgestar would solve the circulation and RH problem?

mariogolbee 04-01-2010 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjon90 (Post 813538)
Do you all think running an Avallo Accumonitor in the Edgestar would solve the circulation and RH problem?

I don't know much about that but I googled it and it costs a pretty penny. I use a Johnson Controls external temp control thingy that overrides the units thermostat and keeps it at 69F. This keeps the fan from constantly running and my rh is just dandy.

SSDVC 04-01-2010 03:25 PM

I was thinking that I would buy some cheap bundles somewhere, about a 100 or so. Then, after careful washing and drying and letting it sit for a week or two open, I would put the cheapos in there and see what happens with the smell.

captain53 04-01-2010 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDVC (Post 812948)

Sounds like you are right on track, been plastic interiors for as long as I can remember. That light is defiinitely one of the weak links in the Edgestar but so goes it I guess, be interested to know if you find a way to improve on it.

Enjoy!:tu

1badhog07 04-01-2010 05:26 PM

yeah you will love chasden trays,and they look great in the edgestar.but i agree with everyone else,get a cpu fan in there to help move some air.im running 2 in mine on seperate timers,since i got my chasden trays i dont battle the humidty issues like before.

sjnovakovich 04-03-2010 04:14 PM

Wipe it down with baking soda. Then go to the local pet shop and get some activated charcoal in the fish department. Take it home and spread it out on a tray. Put the tray in the Edgestar and you will be shocked at how quickly that charcoal gets rid of all odors.

SSDVC 04-03-2010 05:12 PM

I made a "baking soda" paste and wiped the entire interior down with it. I did this 3 times and then let it sit outside for the last few days. Today I hose it down and washed out all the baking soda. It doesn't smell at all. I like the charcoal idea and I think I'll try that before putting anything in it.

Thanks for the idea. I think the charcoal is a better sacrifice then even some cheap cigars!

NeuRon 04-03-2010 05:46 PM

PM sent

boom 04-11-2010 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDVC (Post 812474)
Damn ! Double boxed, Styrofoamed on all ends and in perfect condition. Tomorrow I will wash it out with baking soda as recommended and then leave it open for about a week or two. Man, it does smell in there!

Chasdor shelves on order, can't wait.

I thnk I am going to get the shelia beads, 2 8oz bags for the main body, and one 2oz for each drawer (2 singles and 2 doubles).

Got my hydrometer from Walmat yesterday and will conduct a test on her starting tomorrow.

It's Christmas at Easter !

All that coin spent and u got one from wallymart... I would have sprung for a xikar adjustable..

The charcoal works....

Good luck and have fun setting it up....

NeuRon 04-11-2010 03:09 PM

BTW Scott, i have an extra Oregon Scientific Hygrometer i could part with..

eber 04-11-2010 11:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by boom (Post 824610)
All that coin spent and u got one from wallymart... I would have sprung for a xikar adjustable..

The charcoal works....

Good luck and have fun setting it up....

there is nothing wrong with a hygro from walmart, as long as you salt test it and it is not too far off, you will not have a problem.

SSDVC 04-12-2010 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRonS (Post 824876)
BTW Scott, i have an extra Oregon Scientific Hygrometer i could part with..

Now you tell, after I got the beads !!!!!!!! Damn !

NeuRon 04-12-2010 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SSDVC (Post 826118)
Now you tell, after I got the beads !!!!!!!! Damn !

Thats ok man... shipping is cheapppp on smaller stuff like this..

SSDVC 04-13-2010 05:24 AM

Big Ron, I am doing the cal on the two I have now. If one (or both) fails miserably, I'll hit you up. Beads arrived and looked good, thank you. Any directions or do I just open the bag and place in the box?