Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   How offten do you go from pipes to cigars? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=12273)

yellowgoat 03-17-2009 07:33 PM

How offten do you go from pipes to cigars?

I mean if you do switch back and forth.

Right now I'm on a cigar kick with a pipe only getting lit twice every week, But with cigars a lot of the time I wish it were a good pipe.

I also have a problem when smoking a cigar I want to grab it out of my mouth like it's a pipe. :D

I guess spring and summer I like to smoke more cigars then usual.

Cheers.

Nabinger16 03-17-2009 07:36 PM

Re: How offten do you go from pipes to cigars?

I get on more of a pipe kick in the winter when it's cold as hell outside. I really enjoy smoking cigars around a campfire with friends. So for me, the heavy cigar season is coming up quick.

uncballzer 03-17-2009 08:36 PM

Goat, I just got a box of padrons in last week. I have 6 left. (Padrons are the ONLY cigar I've found that I will buy and consistently get me off the pipe kick for a few days).

Sr Mike 03-17-2009 08:43 PM

I have a routine; cigars on Thursday, and pipes on Sunday.

LordOfWu 03-17-2009 09:11 PM

I'm a pipe newbie, but I'm reaching for the pipe about two days a week, the rest of the time I'm smoking cigars.

DrDubzz 03-17-2009 09:24 PM

I occasionally will reach for a cigar. Not because I want to smoke one more than the pipe, but because I feel like I've neglected my cigars for too long.

I've honestly been considering selling off my cigars except for a couple choice boxes and just putting the money into pipes. At first I thought it would be an additional hobby, but I really truly enjoy it a lot more. Buuuut, I still like cigars, and there are a couple different sticks that will ALWAYS have a place in my home, but that's about it.

yellowgoat 03-17-2009 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncballzer (Post 292139)
Goat, I just got a box of padrons in last week. I have 6 left. (Padrons are the ONLY cigar I've found that I will buy and consistently get me off the pipe kick for a few days).

Thats a lot of smokin'! I only ever had an Anni 64. I'll have to buy a fiver of Padrons with my next order.

I got a nice Martini and some St James Flake going. First pipe in a few days and really enjoying.

Nothing beats a pipe while looking out the window and watching the snow fall. It's very peaceful and relaxing. But so is setting here watching Friday the 13th on Blu ray with my Savinelli La Pipa 2007 and the windows open with a nice 60dgree nights breeze coming in.

yellowgoat 03-17-2009 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RX2010 (Post 292214)
I occasionally will reach for a cigar. Not because I want to smoke one more than the pipe, but because I feel like I've neglected my cigars for too long.

I've honestly been considering selling off my cigars except for a couple choice boxes and just putting the money into pipes. At first I thought it would be an additional hobby, but I really truly enjoy it a lot more. Buuuut, I still like cigars, and there are a couple different sticks that will ALWAYS have a place in my home, but that's about it.

I thought of it but enjoy both very much. The pipe is a lot more demanding and once it's controlled the enjoyability is better then a cigar. Some times to just reach for a stogie and not think as much is a fine change.

Pipes have a one up on cigar for me But I like knowing I can have a cigar at any time I feel like it.

I could never give up one for another.

mugwump 03-18-2009 09:04 AM

Cigars are strictly a nice weather smoke for me which around here translates into about three or four months out of the year. The rest of the time I would say I'm about 90% pipes.

RevSmoke 03-18-2009 11:42 AM

In the 28 years I have been smoking both, there was a time when I smoked about 2 of each a day. Now, my smoking of either has ben reduced to about and average 4 times total a week.

I was on a pipes only kicdk for about 6 years, with only an occasional cigar (1 cigar every 3 months or so). Lately (last 2 years) it has been predominantly cigars, with a pipe once every 3-4 weeks or so.

I enjoy both, and often ask myself why one more than the other.

I love the ritual of getting a pipe ready for smoking, especially as my favorite tobaccos are flakes/kakes.

Cigars are a greater convenience though, if taking smokeables along.

I love to smoke my pipe while fishing, and even in the rain I can do that easily (after you get you burn going, you can smoke your pipe inverted, though I suggest this with straight pipes, and not bent ones. Forget it with a cigar.

With SCHIP coming to town soon, I expect I'll be smoking more of my pipe than my cigars as tobacco is considerably more less expensive per smoke than is a cigar. Even expensive pipe tobacco packed in big pipe is a bargain compared to a cigar. Figure a big pipe takes 5 grams (that's a big pipe), and you paid $20 for 100g tin, that is only $1.00 for a 1.5 -2.0 hour smoke. Compare that to the cost of a decent cigar? My normal cost per pipe is about $0.20 - $0.50 for a 1-2 hour smoke. And what is nice about some of the blends I am smoking, I can go to a pipe that I didn't finish 2 days ago, pick it up, light and purge, and it is as good or better than it was originally. Do that with a cigar.

Anyway, my ramblings have gone on longer than expected. Sorry!

Peace of the Lord be with you.

mhailey 03-18-2009 02:10 PM

I smoke about 1 cigar for every 4 to 5 bowls. However, lately, since I found a nice shop with good company, I have had more cigars in the past 3 weeks than in the prior 3 months.

Matt

LordOfWu 03-18-2009 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mhailey (Post 293206)
I smoke about 1 cigar for every 4 to 5 bowls. However, lately, since I found a nice shop with good company, I have had more cigars in the past 3 weeks than in the prior 3 months.

Matt

Welcome to the Asylum, Matt! If you're around I'll see you on Saturday at the Cave!

I've smoked (cigars, sorry :) ) with Matt a couple times in the past couple of weeks, good guy!

GreekGodX 03-18-2009 02:36 PM

I switch it up here and there. Lately for some reason I've been really smoking a lot of cigars with the occasional bowl or 2. Now that I just got a big order from pipesandcigars.com and a couple other trades, I will probably be smoking more pipes. Who knows, everyday I have a different taste for something.

Nick 03-18-2009 02:43 PM

I only smoke a cigar once every few months and usually that is because some one gave it to me to smoke with them. I never buy cigars any more.

Benwoo 03-18-2009 05:06 PM

Being a pipe newb I'm still trying to find my groove smoking them, but I do feel a draw to pipes more right now. I hit the cigars if I feel like I need something easier or if I head over to the gramps place.

davearob 03-18-2009 05:41 PM

I am about 50 - 50 now. I have only been smoking the pipe for a few weeks, but i find that I can smoke either the pipe or a cigar in one day, I can't mix them. My palate even though it is still uneducated finds a lot more variation and subtle flavor changes with pipe tobacco. I still love cigars but the pipe definitely has its place (maybe even becoming dominant).

perogee 03-18-2009 06:49 PM

if I have the time, I will take a pipe over a cigar any day. But, most of the time I do not have it, so a cigar is nice to be able to grab and go ;)

Big D KC 03-18-2009 09:05 PM

With warmer "garage weather" coming and going around here, I have picked back up on the cigars. They are just easier to enjoy while tinkering with a bike or doing other stuff in the garage.

When I first started smoking pipes a few months back I thought the idea of pipes & cigars being seasonal was kind of silly. Now I understand! I'm still smoking about 4-5 bowls a week, but now adding a cigar here and there while outside.

DubintheDam 03-20-2009 03:33 PM

Having just got into cigars over the last 6 months, I was smoking a couple a day, that's now down to 1 a month. I can quite easily smoke 7 or 8 bowls a day, depending on work and where. But now I really enjoy a cigar as a change of pace so when I do it really gives me a break from pipe overload. I've concluded that basically I'm a pipe smoker, and because pipe smoking has increased my appreciation of quality tobacco I now enjoy a cigar once in a while.

Dgar 03-23-2009 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by uncballzer (Post 292139)

I have the same problem with Padrons.... I told some guys last night while I was lighting my Padron 2k, that if forced to smoke one cigar only that this might be it.....

But to the original question.... I'll switch from the pipe to cigars often in the same day.. no rhyme or reason, I like both..