Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=1753)

N2Advnture 10-20-2008 12:29 PM

Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Have a question regarding n/c cigars?

Ask it here and someone will be along to answer it shorty :tu

~Mark

SmokinApe 10-20-2008 12:53 PM

Re: Beginner Questions (Ask Them Here!)

Does a fancier label make the cigar taste better? :ss

pnoon 10-20-2008 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinApe (Post 22672)

:confused:
Why clutter up a perfectly legitimate cigar related thread with an attempt at humor?

zemekone 10-20-2008 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinApe (Post 22672)

Of course it does! All the opus x and diamond crown maximus taste good cuz of the gold foil...

Come on now?

SmokinApe 10-20-2008 01:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 22676)
:confused:
Why clutter up a perfectly legitimate cigar related thread with an attempt at humor?

I thought it was inline with the culture of the forum... My apologies to the OP...

ahc4353 10-20-2008 01:09 PM

OK here is something that I am embarrassed to ask but what the heck.

Why do we "toast" the foot?

Al walks away in shame of not knowing this after all these years..........

pnoon 10-20-2008 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokinApe (Post 22703)
I thought it was inline with the culture of the forum... My apologies to the OP...

Not so much as to the where as to the when. No doubt we are a fun loving group of inmates. But there is a time and place for humor. When tangential posts and humor are injected into threads that are meant to be informative, it makes reading them and finding the true value more difficult.

I certainly don't want to curtail any fun or humor.

Just my :2

kaisersozei 10-20-2008 01:20 PM

Not to jump ahead of Al, but I have a question, too.

I read "somewhere" about "someone's" :D misadventure with having his cigars stuck up someone else's nose. Common courtesy aside (i.e., asking permission to do it, first of all...) I've seen brothers (some here, that I respect) do the same thing. That is: put the foot of a cigar in their nostril and inhale deeply. In the misadventure above, the guy indicated it was to detect ammonia. Is that what you're trying to detect in that process? Or is it the general "pre-light aroma?"

pnoon 10-20-2008 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kaisersozei (Post 22732)
Not to jump ahead of Al, but I have a question, too.

I read "somewhere" about "someone's" :D misadventure with having his cigars stuck up someone else's nose. Common courtesy aside (i.e., asking permission to do it, first of all...) I've seen brothers (some here, that I respect) do the same thing. That is: put the foot of a cigar in their nostril and inhale deeply. In the misadventure above, the guy indicated it was to detect ammonia. Is that what you're trying to detect in that process? Or is it the general "pre-light aroma?"

For me, it is pre-light aroma. And I certainly don't stick the cigar IN my nostril. And if its not my stick, it doesn't touch my nose at all.

renton20 10-20-2008 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 22712)

My understanding is that by toasting the foot it is easier to ensure an even burn throughout the cigar.

Langod 10-20-2008 02:19 PM

Can someone give me a basic understanding of wraps? What are the flavor differences between Connecticut, Maduro, Natural, etc?

Plus, how does a different wrap generally change the flavor of a given cigar? To use a current popular cigar as an example -- the new special edition Oliva serie V Maduro. The wrap is the biggest difference between it and the "regular" Serie V, correct? How does that change the flavor profile?

FriskyDingo 10-20-2008 03:48 PM

Here's a quick link that describes a few flavors you may pick up from different wrappers.

http://blogcritics.org/archives/2007/02/06/192227.php

Since everyone's palate is different, one's flavor pick up of cherry is anothers licorice.
The wrapper on a cigar is sometimes said to provide up to 60% of the flavor. Your example of the Oliva V Maduro is excellent since it's basically the same as the regular V. With a 60% change in flavor due to the wrapper, it's almost like smoking a completely different cigar.
La Aurora did a run of the 1495 series called the connoisseur collection that provided the same filler with 4 different wrappers (Connecticut, Cameroon, Brazil and Corojo). Each providing a completely different smoking experience.

-Evan

SteveDMatt 10-20-2008 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ahc4353 (Post 22712)

Quote:

Originally Posted by renton20 (Post 22740)
My understanding is that by toasting the foot it is easier to ensure an even burn throughout the cigar.

I agree. Also, when you attempt to light a cigar by drawing on it, it seems to be bitter, like and overheated cigar (ex. smoking too quickly). I feel that by toasting the end, you get a cooler, smoother smoke and a more even burn throughout.

Timbers 10-21-2008 06:22 AM

I figured this would be as good a first post as any:ss

I am currently browsing cigarsinternational.com, and have my eyes on some cigars to try out for the first time. In my cart are a 5-pack or CAO MX2's and another 5-pack of Rocky Patel Fusions. Any other suggestions (top one or two for the beginner) as to which cigars would be wise in which to invest?

Also, I need a cutter and a lighter. I am set on the lighter, but am confused as to which type of cutter to get. I see more guillotines floating around than any other type, which would make it seem to me as though they are the most widely bought. Are there any issues with specific cutters regarding the condition of the cigar once cut?

Thank you in advance for the input!

Coz77 10-21-2008 06:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbers (Post 24295)
I figured this would be as good a first post as any:ss

I am currently browsing cigarsinternational.com, and have my eyes on some cigars to try out for the first time. In my cart are a 5-pack or CAO MX2's and another 5-pack of Rocky Patel Fusions. Any other suggestions (top one or two for the beginner) as to which cigars would be wise in which to invest?

Check out Famous too...They have a buy 2 five packs get one free deal thats pretty sweet. Might save you a few bucks :)

Sancho Panza (double mad..I prefer the extra fuerte though)
Oliva (G's maduro and nat)
Padron (x000 series)
Hoyo de Monterry (dark sumatra)
Punch

All great cigars for beginners and veterans alike :ss

Quote:

Originally Posted by Timbers (Post 24295)
Also, I need a cutter and a lighter. I am set on the lighter, but am confused as to which type of cutter to get. I see more guillotines floating around than any other type, which would make it seem to me as though they are the most widely bought. Are there any issues with specific cutters regarding the condition of the cigar once cut?

Thank you in advance for the input!

Im not sure what lighter you're considering but save your cash and get a Ronson with some quality fuel.

Cutters...get a Xikar wolf 2 sized punch and a Palio cutter.

BlackIrish 10-21-2008 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SteveDMatt (Post 23042)
I agree. Also, when you attempt to light a cigar by drawing on it, it seems to be bitter, like and overheated cigar (ex. smoking too quickly). I feel that by toasting the end, you get a cooler, smoother smoke and a more even burn throughout.

SteveDMatt is a smart man. Toasting avoids overheating and gives a more even burn.

I've begun toasting the foot and blowing on it until I've got a good even cherry before I even take a draw. It makes for a much smoother smoke and a great burn. Try it.

BlackIrish

NCRadioMan 10-21-2008 03:03 PM

I never toast. Never found that it made a difference.

:2

BlackIrish 10-21-2008 03:07 PM

Great thread here that discusses these issues and more.

http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showth...ed=1#post25523

N2Advnture 10-21-2008 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackIrish (Post 25511)
I've begun toasting the foot and blowing on it until I've got a good even cherry before I even take a draw. It makes for a much smoother smoke and a great burn. Try it.
BlackIrish

Exactly.

By creating an even light you create an even burn (unless there is something wrong with the smoke).

I hold the flame away from the foot as not to char it but let the heat of flame ignite the foot.

~Mark

Sauer Grapes 10-21-2008 04:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by N2Advnture (Post 25531)
Exactly.

By creating an even light you create an even burn (unless there is something wrong with the smoke).

I hold the flame away from the foot as not to char it but let the heat of flame ignite the foot.

~Mark

I've always wondered this... even if the flame doesn't touch the foot, doesn't the heat "char" the foot when it starts off gassing before it ignites?