Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Cracked foot on a good stick (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63339)

Jon11 09-02-2013 07:48 PM

Cracked foot on a good stick

I guess my humi being 58% for about a month did dry out some of the cigars. Took all of the sticks out to put in tupperware so I can reseason the humi and a Padron 80th anniversary at the bottom had about an 1/2 inch crack from the foot up. Does this mean it was too dry or does this sometimes just happen? I will smoke it tomorrow night anyway considering it is about a $30 stick. Any hope for a good smoke tomorrow?

Remo 09-02-2013 07:50 PM

Re: Cracked foot on a good stick

Should smoke fine, maybe a bit fast because of the dryness :sh

cjhalbrooks 09-02-2013 08:38 PM

I agree it will smoke fast other than that nothing should be wrong. But if you take your time you can save her. Even with the cracked wrapper.

icehog3 09-02-2013 09:03 PM

Less painful than a hangnail. It will smoke fine. ;)

CigarNut 09-02-2013 09:43 PM

One thing you can do is pick up some pectin or cigar glue -- this is the stuff that the rollers use when sealing up the wrapper. You can find it in many B&Ms, you can make it yourself using fruit pectin from your grocery store and there are some BOTLs on CA that make and sell this stuff.

You can brush this on lose wrappers and cracks to keep them from spreading and once it dries (a few minutes) your cigar will smoke fine.

mahtofire14 09-02-2013 11:31 PM

I find that it usually canoes a bit until the burn is past the crack and the. It evens out again with a well constructed cigar.

kelmac07 09-03-2013 06:04 AM

Will smoke fine. Have cracked a number of foots on sticks in handling, banging against something. If it's a real bad crack, slap some pectin on it and she'll be fine.

billybarue 09-03-2013 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1879647)
Will smoke fine. Have cracked a number of foots on sticks in handling, banging against something. If it's a real bad crack, slap some pectin on it and she'll be fine.

That ^^^^^^^^^^

I smoke Nicaraguan tobacco dry all the time. I find they smoke far better. I picked up a 40 count "forgot about it - ador" at my brother's house in NOVA a couple months ago. Had about 15 cigars in it that hadn't been humidified at ALL, over the last 8 months or so. Granted, it was in the basement where it is always cool. I grabbed a Famous Nicaraguan 3000 that was easily 5 years old - it smoked perfectly!!! Matter of fact it is the most memorable cigar I've smoked over the last 6 months - I wonder how that blend is doing today!! No tunneling, not uneven, nor did it burn fast despite being dry.

I have a "dry box" humidor at my house that I keep 20-30 cigars in for smoking over upcoming few weeks. Inevitably, some stay in there for a few months. Again, it's in the basement and we have a humidification device attached to the furnace/AC. If it is a Nicaraguan cigar, I won't smoke it unless it is very firm and dry. When you light up that Padron try squeezing lightly right behind the burn line after about an inch into it. It will give and feel far more "squishy" than the rest of the cigar. I can't buy a cigar from any B&M and light it up. Even at 70%, I find them far too humidified for my taste. Of course, long term storage at 66-70% humidity, but when it comes to smoking them I dry them out for awhile (I am sure more than most people do). If they are moist I find them exceedingly bitter - especially Nicaraguan tobacco.

my $.02, FWIW

Garbandz 09-03-2013 08:25 AM

58% is not terminal,in fact if your temp was in the 75-80 degree range it should be ok.
Sticks cracking is more likely from too much moisture or a sudden increase,or poor handling,of course.
Add moisture slowly, 1 % increase in 3 days is plenty,and let the cigars catch up gently.

63 to 65 % is a good average rate and will help protect against mold..........