Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Choosing a box for an upcoming baby (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=53112)

tengel78 02-04-2012 03:17 PM

Choosing a box for an upcoming baby

I recently found out that my wife is pregnant and I thought it would be cool to buy a special box of cigars and I could have one on the kids birthday every year up until their 20th. I will also probably buy another box of different cigars to give out to friends and family.
Has anyone ever done this? Have any suggestions on what I should buy?

Poronico 02-04-2012 03:20 PM

Re: Choosing a box for an upcoming baby

Any cigar can be special as long as you enjoy it, with age you should enjoy it THAT much more. I found out the day after xmas that me and my girlfriend are expecting my first child and her her second. I am picking up a cab of PSD #4's I will smoke one a year until they are old enough to enjoy and hopefully pass the tradition on to them with their first. With the 50 Cab the kid will have some pretty epic smokes to pass to their child.

Got so excited to post I forgot my manners lol! Congrats on the new one :) I have been completely psyched about mine but minutely terrified as well. From what the fathers on here have been telling me they are an absolute joy to your life which I expected from the beginning.

Remo 02-04-2012 03:21 PM

Congrats on the baby!!! Get something good to smoke :tu

tengel78 02-04-2012 03:31 PM

Thanks guys!

Jesse, Congrats to you! I found out right after New Years and I went through a brief period of terror as well :) Mostly sticker shock from the price of daycare and everything else. We are both very excited though as it will be the first for both of us.

SteelCityBoy 02-04-2012 03:34 PM

I have no experience in the baby area of things but that idea sounds really cool. I would say pick out a box of something that you really like but make sure it is something special and that ages well and that you can really sit back and enjoy while reflecting on each year gone by.

For some reason I would think along the lines of getting a great box of CC's that you like (if you do, and if you can) and go with something along those lines. But the beauty of it all is that it's up to you!

Congrats and no matter what you pick....ENJOY! :D

mase 02-04-2012 03:44 PM

Congrats, guys! I'm in the same boat. My wife is due in April and I've thinking about getting a nice box of cigars for the event. I have a box in mind and now I just have to pull the trigger.

Now you have me thinking that maybe I should get a CAB. Just another example of this slippery slope...

tengel78 02-04-2012 03:48 PM

Congrats Kevin! A CAB is an excellent idea. A box of CC's is probably not an option for me right now since I don't have the ability to get them. I think I'm just going to have to start sampling for the next several months so I can find something excellent.

icehog3 02-04-2012 04:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tengel78 (Post 1549553)
Congrats Kevin! A CAB is an excellent idea. A box of CC's is probably not an option for me right now since I don't have the ability to get them. I think I'm just going to have to start sampling for the next several months so I can find something excellent.

Sounds like an excellent plan, Tyler, might find a bunch of things you like doing it this way. Congrats on the upcoming blessed event! :D

cjhalbrooks 02-04-2012 04:54 PM

1st Congrats
2nd I would pick somthing that you love..
3rd If you are going to smoke one of these cigars with your child then make sure its not to strong because you don't want the first time to be a kick in the teeth for him or her.

kelmac07 02-04-2012 06:54 PM

Congrats on the upcoming new addition to the family. :D

maninblack 02-04-2012 06:59 PM

Congrats! I bought a box of DPG Series JJ Little Robusto's. I wanted Padron Anni's but they were a little pricey.

Fordman4ever 02-04-2012 07:40 PM

Congrats Tyler, we just had our first and I bought these to give out to friends.

ITS A GIRL CIGARS

BHalbrooks 02-04-2012 08:36 PM

Have you tried either the Perdomo Habano or Perdomo 10th Anniversary with Champagne? If you haven't, try them, especially the 10th Anniversary.

If my Fiancee told me that she was pregnant, I'd start looking for a cheap box of either that I mentioned.

goomer 02-04-2012 08:41 PM

Congrats! That's a great idea. I've never heard of it before but I bet it catches on.

Digs 02-04-2012 09:21 PM

Congrats! I would go with FFP's :noon

icehog3 02-04-2012 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by goomer (Post 1549865)
Congrats! That's a great idea. I've never heard of it before but I bet it catches on.

I wouldn't bet against it. ;)

tengel78 02-04-2012 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BHalbrooks (Post 1549858)
Have you tried either the Perdomo Habano or Perdomo 10th Anniversary with Champagne? If you haven't, try them, especially the 10th Anniversary.

If my Fiancee told me that she was pregnant, I'd start looking for a cheap box of either that I mentioned.

Those both look good. The 10th Anniversary Maduro looks tasty as well. I have not had the opportunity to try a Perdomo yet, so I guess that give me a good excuse. :tu

Poronico 02-05-2012 02:15 AM

If you have the extra loot laying around I would highly recommend the Padron Anniversary Series. I am personally a huge fan of the 45th, they are an amazing medium full with lots of cocoa and sweet notes. With some age they will certainly mellow out and become a godly cigar, but they usually retail for $25-$30 or so a stick so a box will certainly run you...

JenksAnejo 02-05-2012 08:36 AM

The 45s are definitely a nice cigar, but those only come in boxes of 12 correct? If you are looking for a real nice cigar I would recommend the Ashton VSG's. In my experience these cigars age extremely well; however, you need to pick something you like. Try some different things before the baby is born because you still have time! Good luck!!

Chainsaw13 02-05-2012 08:37 AM

If the manufacturer uses them, see if you can get a box with a box code the same month/year as the birth of your baby.

Congrats to you and your wife.