Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Wine, Beer, and Spirits (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=41)
-   -   How about an "infinity bourbon" thread? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=76147)

Brian D. 11-04-2020 12:12 PM

How about an "infinity bourbon" thread?

I know this practice is mentioned from time to time in "The Bourbon Thread". Would it be interesting enough to have a separate discussion for those of you who enjoy creating your own combinations from the "spiders" of multiple bottles through the months/years?

Locally I know a few folks who do it, including our forum's own Theo Cincy. Just an idea.

BigAsh 11-04-2020 01:43 PM

Re: How about an "infinity bourbon" thread?

I like it Brian....interested to see how others have approached this and with what results!

markem 11-04-2020 02:13 PM

My advice is to start a thread. If there is interest, they will come.

icehog3 11-04-2020 02:26 PM

I've got one and plan to start a second (Booker's only). I'd be happy to participate.

jledou 11-04-2020 02:44 PM

I also have one ... started last fall and it is now reaching critical mass. Need more chances to get people over to share it with.

Started mine with a couple ounces out of the majority of each new bottle I open.

stearns 11-04-2020 02:47 PM

I've got one, it's basically equal parts two different BT picks and Kentucky Spirit. I haven't tried it in a while, I wanted to put some effort into it but there are too many bottles to try on their own. Maybe one day when I stop buying I can focus back on this :tu

T.G 11-04-2020 02:48 PM

Leftover bourbon... does not compute.

The Poet 11-04-2020 04:14 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hTxWoEy4MoA

Brian D. 11-04-2020 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by markem (Post 2207552)
My advice is to start a thread. If there is interest, they will come.

Well, how about using this thread then? Let's get this party started!

icehog3 11-04-2020 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian D. (Post 2207567)
Well, how about using this thread then? Let's get this party started!

C'mon, clean slate for chrissakes! :lr

Brian D. 11-04-2020 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 2207569)
C'mon, clean slate for chrissakes! :lr

Brought this up for the benefit of others, mostly I'm a rum or stout beer drinker. Although one time before going on vacation in some "dry" Kentucky counties, I combined the contents of two different plastic travel bourbon bottles: Jim Beam and Old Crow. Called the result "Jim Crow". (True story, I'm not making that up.) Told people that after drinking a few shots of it, I wasn't allowed to vote.* ;s :D

With that, time for me to bow out and let the actual bourbon lovers here share their wisdom.

* No offense intended, gang.

icehog3 11-05-2020 10:12 AM

So you want me to start "Brian D's Infinity Bottle Banter"? :D

Brian D. 11-05-2020 11:20 AM

Is there something wrong with just having the discussion right here? If so, go ahead and start a new thread. But don't name it after me, please. It's a topic (one of many) where my knowledge is very limited.

icehog3 11-05-2020 02:01 PM

"Brian's Semi-Educated Infinity Bottle Banter"?

I keed, I keed. Discussion here is fine unless one of the bourbon sluts wants to start a new thread. :al

BigAsh 11-06-2020 11:41 AM

Soooo....what's the process?...I have 2 nice crystal decanters with some "mystery" hootch in each (no idea/recollection!!)...and many bottles with just a few sips left (though less than pre-covid when I started to thin the herd):sh

jledou 11-06-2020 11:57 AM

Step 1 sounds like it is a "mystery" hootch kind of night :)

should say good luck now and we will send someone next Friday if we don't hear from you Keith.

Brian D. 11-06-2020 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigAsh (Post 2207650)
Soooo....what's the process?...I have 2 nice crystal decanters with some "mystery" hootch in each (no idea/recollection!!)...and many bottles with just a few sips left (though less than pre-covid when I started to thin the herd):sh

I'll see about getting Theo Cincy to stop by this thread. The way he explained it to me, he sometimes tries specific combinations, and in other cases just combines bottle remnants of bourbons that he thinks have similar flavor profiles. I don't think there are any "rules" to these experiments. Well heck, some of you know the guy too, ask him.

If I did this, keeping notes along the way would be part of the enjoyment and education. Otherwise, could you imagine putting together something that was incredible, the best bourbon you ever tasted, then being very sad because you don't recall what went into it?

BigAsh 11-06-2020 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jledou (Post 2207652)
Step 1 sounds like it is a "mystery" hootch kind of night :)

should say good luck now and we will send someone next Friday if we don't hear from you Keith.

Winning!! :banger

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brian D. (Post 2207654)
I'll see about getting Theo Cincy to stop by this thread. The way he explained it to me, he sometimes tries specific combinations, and in other cases just combines bottle remnants of bourbons that he thinks have similar flavor profiles. I don't think there are any "rules" to these experiments. Well heck, some of you know the guy too, ask him.

If I did this, keeping notes along the way would be part of the enjoyment and education. Otherwise, could you imagine putting together something that was incredible, the best bourbon you ever tasted, then being very sad because you don't recall what went into it?

Theo!...now I gotta guy.... :tu

icehog3 11-06-2020 01:10 PM

I started out with the last 2 oz. of anything I liked. I later switched to higher proof bourbons to bring up the average. Craziest part is how different the mouthfeel (phrasing) is compared to any of its components. Oily, palate coating...crazy. The last pour out of it I had {probably 7-8 weeks ago) was tasty, and I wouldn't hesitate to pour it if it had a label on it. I used an extra large decanter so I could fit more in. :r

The next one will be a standard sized decanter with just Booker's batches. Just for fun for me. ;)

Brian D. 11-10-2020 10:20 AM

Hey all. I did clue Theo into this thread, although I forgot until today, sorry. He's interested.