Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Recipes (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=110)
-   -   ABT Recipe (BACON!) (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=19108)

Scothew 09-21-2009 07:23 AM

Re: ABT Recipe (BACON!)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poe (Post 560173)
I had a chance to try the ones Scothew cooked and I can't wait to try to make these myself. They were excellent!

Guess you'll have to since you wouldn't dare come watch football at my place would you :r

Scothew 09-21-2009 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by itsme_timd (Post 560178)
These are the best, Red. Scott is right about doubling up, the filling works great as a dip with veggies or a spread on crackers.

Come to ATL and I'll hook you up! You can leave the Black & Milds and MGD 64 at home... :D

I only made a dozen ABT's this time, thats what I meant by doubling up. But you are right, the dip was excellent on tortilla chips

Xcytez 09-21-2009 09:21 AM

Yeah, my son is a walking garbage disposal at 16... he will eat everyting in site...lol

GoldnGT 09-21-2009 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Poe (Post 560173)
I had a chance to try the ones Scothew cooked and I can't wait to try to make these myself. They were excellent!

I second this. =) They were excellent.:dr:dr

Steve 09-21-2009 09:32 AM

I have made these quite a bit as well. I have also done it with habenaros. I have also done similar things with small portabello mushrooms. I save some of my pulled pork from my last cook to mix in as well.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Smokin Gator (Post 483601)
Two more tips... wear gloves.

X2

One time I didn't wear gloves and had to stop while prepping the peppers to use the rest room. Now, I guess I'm a bit slow, because while I always wash up after going, I didn't before I went. Lord almighty! NOT fun! 2nd degree chemical burns on a VERY tender part of the anatomy is NOT recommended!!!

That is something that you will only do ONCE in a lifetime, I guarantee that!

Scothew 09-21-2009 09:51 AM

Oh geez. Yeah I washed frequently while prepping the peppers.

TripleF 09-29-2009 06:57 AM

Man, does this look good. :jd

captain53 09-29-2009 01:53 PM

Made some up and took them to a party recently, party host called the next day to request the recipe. They were great, thanks again for sharing!:tu

Scothew 09-29-2009 02:42 PM

i made these a 2nd time in my electric smoker. First ones turned out perfect. 2nd ones not quite as good mainly because all i had was some deer hamburger meat, so not as fatty as the sausage and i also didnt have any hickory to throw in the smoker on the coil.

I think the hickory the first time brought some extra heat and smokey flavor that set them off perfect. I smoked the 2nd batch for 2 hours like the same and i think they could have used another 30min or so.

mrreindeer 10-04-2009 10:58 AM

Holy sweet Jesus, those look amazing!

Paint 10-04-2009 11:06 AM

Great pics Timmy!Makes me hungry for some of those tasty treats.

gorob23 10-04-2009 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by galaga (Post 500457)
Made these from memory last night. I forgot the onion and garlic, but remembered everything else. Old Bay seasoning works great! These are addicting belly-bombs!! Thanks for putting the recipe up :tu

I can't believe

A. I never saw this recipe before and

B. YOU DIDN'T INVITE ME !!!! :mad:

Good stuff
Rob :tpd:

itsme_timd 10-04-2009 11:53 AM

Glad to see folks are loving these, they really do rock!

The cool thing is, like galaga said, you don't have to stick to a solid recipe. Add your own personal touches at there's still a 99% chance they're going to be awesome. :D

scoot 10-31-2009 03:30 PM

Could these be done in an oven, or do you need a smoker?

captain53 10-31-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoot (Post 625870)

I tried it in a time crunch and they were marginal at best but they edible. :td They are some kind of good smoked or grilled though.:tu:tu:tu

itsme_timd 11-01-2009 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scoot (Post 625870)

Here's the trick to doing these in the oven. They come out pretty good but not 'quite' as good as on the grill. I've done ribs and brisket this way as well.

Preheat the oven to 250F.
Arrange the ABT's on rack that you can set over a pan of water.
Add some liquid smoke to the pan of water.
-- You can also add onions, apples, fruit juice
Put 'em in there for about 1 1/2 hours - 2 hours.

That's it! It works pretty well if a grill or smoker is not available.

jwintosh 11-01-2009 08:38 PM

gonna try this, for sure!! excellent recipe!!

BengalMan 04-09-2010 10:02 AM

Just skimming threads and saw this thread. I've made these time and time again at our tailgate and are always a huge hit, however, I always run into the same problem, the mixture I fill them with (cream cheese, shredded cheese, pulled pork) always ends up melting all over the place before the bacon can finish cooking. I usually can get the heat side down cooked, but the top part of the bacon (also where the filling is) is undercooked, and flipping them causes a huge mess. By the time they come off the grill, they're a sloppy and uneatable without a fork. How can I get the bacon to cook evenly while keeping the filling inside each piece?

itsme_timd 04-09-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BengalMan (Post 822924)
Just skimming threads and saw this thread. I've made these time and time again at our tailgate and are always a huge hit, however, I always run into the same problem, the mixture I fill them with (cream cheese, shredded cheese, pulled pork) always ends up melting all over the place before the bacon can finish cooking. I usually can get the heat side down cooked, but the top part of the bacon (also where the filling is) is undercooked, and flipping them causes a huge mess. By the time they come off the grill, they're a sloppy and uneatable without a fork. How can I get the bacon to cook evenly while keeping the filling inside each piece?

Easy fix (hopefully) for this...

Cook them on lower temp (250) with indirect heat rather than 'grilling' them. When I do them I light 2 burners on my grill and put the ABT's on the opposite side - with a pan of soaked mesquite over the flame. Get the temp to about 250 and they should cook nice and slow and get the bacon done without oozing out and without the need to flip them. HTH. :banger

BengalMan 04-09-2010 10:17 AM

Gotcha. Will try this next time. Will have to get the grill started earlier next football tailgate season :)