Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Amazon Smile (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=72360)

stearns 12-07-2016 10:51 AM

Amazon Smile

Just wanted to throw a quick PSA for Amazon Smile, in case anybody isn't aware. If you have a regular amazon account and shop through the smile.amazon.com link you can get them to donate a portion of each sale to a charity of your choosing. I think it's only 0.5% of the sale, but given that it's no extra effort it certainly helps. I chose Wounded Warrior when it was first set up and there were only a few options, but I believe now there are significantly more to pick from. If you're like me and do most of your shopping in general on Amazon it's a good thing to check out.

That is all, now back to your regularly scheduled bullsh** :D

pnoon 12-07-2016 10:53 AM

Re: Amazon Smile

Quote:

Originally Posted by stearns (Post 2109855)
Just wanted to throw a quick PSA for Amazon Smile, in case anybody isn't aware. If you have a regular amazon account and shop through the smile.amazon.com link you can get them to donate a portion of each sale to a charity of your choosing. I think it's only 0.5% of the sale, but given that it's no extra effort it certainly helps. I chose Wounded Warrior when it was first set up and there were only a few options, but I believe now there are significantly more to pick from. If you're like me and do most of your shopping in general on Amazon it's a good thing to check out.

That is all, now back to your regularly scheduled bullsh** :D

I've been using this for a couple of years now. I spend a $hitload on amazon.
My charity is Cheer For Children - the charity the annual SoCal herf supports each year.

markem 12-07-2016 11:33 AM

It is a great resource. Mine goes to Oregon Greyhound Rescue.

AdamJoshua 12-07-2016 11:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pnoon (Post 2109856)
I've been using this for a couple of years now. I spend a $hitload on amazon.
My charity is Cheer For Children - the charity the annual SoCal herf supports each year.

:tpd:

massphatness 12-07-2016 11:58 AM

I have mine linked to a local scholarship fund, although I was surprised to find my purchases resulted in such a minuscule donation given the amount of money I feel like I spend on Amazon. Not complaining -- the charity does get something -- but it "feels" like I'm forever receiving Amazon boxes at the house. Or maybe that's Grace ... and that might explain a lot.

pnoon 12-07-2016 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 2109870)
I have mine linked to a local scholarship fund, although I was surprised to find my purchases resulted in such a minuscule donation given the amount of money I feel like I spend on Amazon. Not complaining -- the charity does get something -- but it "feels" like I'm forever receiving Amazon boxes at the house. Or maybe that's Grace ... and that might explain a lot.

Just make sure she uses SMILE.amazon.com when purchasing.

Just so everyone knows, you can shop from the regular website (this sometimes happens to me on my phone or iPad). As long as you go thru the checkout process using smile.amazon.com, the charity will receive the donation.
:2

icehog3 12-07-2016 01:41 PM

I've been doing it as well, with my donation going to St. Jude's. Wasn't aware that Cheer for Children was an option, I will look into switching it for 2017.

Dave128 12-07-2016 02:42 PM

We do a lot of shopping on Amazon. I'll have to check this out.

Flynnster 12-07-2016 07:21 PM

So glad to hear so many people already know about this. It's really easy, just bookmark smile.amazon instead of the regular site.

The only issue is the "recap" they send at the end of the year. When you get how much your purchased donated, make sure you don't do any math. Amazon gets so much of my money...

elderboy02 12-07-2016 09:06 PM

I have been doing this for a couple years now. I donate to a local non-profit no-kill animal shelter where I adopted my Beagle :)

Chainsaw13 12-08-2016 07:05 AM

Wish I'd known about this years ago. I buy a lot off Amazon. Just signed up for Wounded Warrior.

WhiteMamba 12-08-2016 07:20 AM

If anyone is in need of a charity my church Zion Lutheran in Tomball, TX uses all those funds to support our preschool which has a lot of children from broken homes.

irratebass 12-08-2016 07:26 AM

Very cool, and didn't know about this. Will look into this, not a big Amazon shopper, but every little bit helps right?

croatan 12-08-2016 12:48 PM

It's a small percentage, but every little bit helps. I've been doing it for years and mine have always gone to Water: "a non-profit organization bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations."

BlackDog 12-08-2016 12:55 PM

I buy a lot of stuff on Amazon, but was unaware of this. Thank you for lettingnus knows. I'll sign up.

Tio Gato 12-08-2016 05:47 PM

Thanks for the reminder. I saw this but forgot to sign up. Just picked Fisher House. It's like the Ronald McDonald houses but for wounded vets and their families.

massphatness 12-09-2016 05:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by croatan (Post 2109957)
It's a small percentage, but every little bit helps. I've been doing it for years and mine have always gone to Water: "a non-profit organization bringing clean and safe drinking water to people in developing nations."

Did Claire Underwood use to run that, James? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

croatan 12-09-2016 06:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by massphatness (Post 2110093)
Did Claire Underwood use to run that, James? :)
Posted via Mobile Device

I'll do whatever it takes to get on her good side...

pnoon 03-16-2017 09:14 AM

For those of you who use smile.amazon.com to donate 0.5% of your purchases to your favorite charity. For purchases made today, Amazon will donate a full 5%.

I received the following email.

Great news. Customers just ranked Amazon #1 in the American Customer Satisfaction Index (ACSI) with a score of 86. ACSI surveyed over 10,000 customers to measure perceptions of quality and value across retailers nationwide. This comes right on the heels of movies from Amazon Studios winning three Oscars and Amazon being ranked #1 in corporate reputation by the Harris Poll.

We want to celebrate the recognition, and say thank you for your support.

On Thursday, March 16 only, we will donate 5% (10 times our usual donation rate) of the purchase price of eligible products you buy at AmazonSmile (smile.amazon.com) to charity. AmazonSmile is a way to shop that offers the same shopping experience as Amazon.com, but every eligible purchase you make at smile.amazon.com helps support a charity of your choice. To date, we've donated over $46 million.

To take advantage of this offer—and to ensure that your shopping throughout the year benefits your favorite charitable organization—just start your shopping at smile.amazon.com.

Thank you. And, be assured, we'll continue working hard for you every day.

Flynnster 03-16-2017 05:16 PM

Good looking out Pnoon!