Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Starter pipe (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10075)

kgoings 02-11-2009 10:57 AM

Starter pipe

So I was reading in the ask an old fart thread, newbs should start with a corncob...is that because of cost?

adampc22 02-11-2009 10:59 AM

Re: Starter pipe

i started with a brier i had got about 50 briers before i got my first cob

Mugen910 02-11-2009 10:59 AM

Kirk, I think the corncob is for reason of cost and efficiency. I mean $5 a pipe and you don't have to worry about breaking it. Also it's a good starter pipe to learn how much to fill and how to keep it lit with less maintenance of the more popular brands.

morefifemusic 02-11-2009 11:05 AM

Cob is also nice because it does not ghost like a briar will. Smoking different kinds of baccy in a briar (Virginia, Virginia/Perique, English, Balkan, etc.) will lead to ghosting of flavors. The pipe may end up mucking up the baccy taste.

Not an issue when you have enough pipes to dedicate to different tobacco types, but it can be an issue when starting out.

I always have a couple of cobs for trying new baccys.

Cost is also an advantage. Sucks to buy a $75 briar and find you don't like pipe smoking.

Hope that helps.

-Tyler

adampc22 02-11-2009 11:07 AM

dont get me wrong i like smoke my cob i just like my briers better its the englishmen in me i guess

Emjaysmash 02-11-2009 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morefifemusic (Post 229415)
Cob is also nice because it does not ghost like a briar will. Smoking different kinds of baccy in a briar (Virginia, Virginia/Perique, English, Balkan, etc.) will lead to ghosting of flavors. The pipe may end up mucking up the baccy taste.

Not an issue when you have enough pipes to dedicate to different tobacco types, but it can be an issue when starting out.

I always have a couple of cobs for trying new baccys.

Cost is also an advantage. Sucks to buy a $75 briar and find you don't like pipe smoking.

Hope that helps.

-Tyler

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen910 (Post 229399)
Kirk, I think the corncob is for reason of cost and efficiency. I mean $5 a pipe and you don't have to worry about breaking it. Also it's a good starter pipe to learn how much to fill and how to keep it lit with less maintenance of the more popular brands.

:tpd:

Like they said it is 1) very cost effective, 2) very good to learn how to fill and light (you wont feel that bad scorching it) 3) it wont ghost. I always recommend pipes for starters.

Happy Piping!

Edit: I for got to mention that they are generally good smokers; to be honest, I've been smoking my cobb more than my briars becuase of how it smokes.

morefifemusic 02-11-2009 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emjaysmash (Post 229421)
Edit: I for got to mention that they are generally good smokers; to be honest, I've been smoking my cobb more than my briars becuase of how it smokes.

For sure, they are great for their light and forget qualities.

BigFrank 02-11-2009 01:29 PM

cuz its piss cheap

Curly Cut 02-11-2009 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigFrank (Post 229702)
cuz its piss cheap

one of the main reasons.

would suck to spend $100+ on a nice briar only to find out you don't like going through the motions of smoking a pipe (or just don't enjoy the pipe tobacco flavors).

TheJ 02-11-2009 06:44 PM

You don't have to break in a cob. From the get go you you taste the flavors of the tobacco and can enjoy a full bowl. Same goes for Meerschaums. Neither one needs a cake.

Aesthetically not as sophisticated as a Briar, but consistently a good smoke. Although a first pipe for many beginners I think there are many seasoned smokers that smoke them regularly. I started with one just because I didn't know how well I'd take the transition from cigarettes. I've come across posts on other parts of the www from guys that for years have only smoked corn cobs and wouldn't dream of smoking anything else.

I'm glad I came across the post. I need to stock up on some cobs to hand out on International Pipe Smoking Day, February 20.