Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Accessory Discussion / Reviews (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   So I picked up a cooler (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=37404)

Bill86 10-10-2010 12:48 AM

So I picked up a cooler

This one
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xt...ooler/14574678

Can someone give me a link to shilala's beads, and tell me how much to buy for 120 quarts.

Thanks
-Bill

dwoodward 10-10-2010 01:47 AM

Re: So I picked up a cooler

http://www.hcmcigarbeads.com/

Product in Inches (L x W x H): 39.0 x 19.0 x 19.0

Volume = 14079 Cu. Inches

Beads Needed = 26.1 Ounces

Bill86 10-10-2010 01:53 AM

Wow those beads are much pricier then heartfelt.....

I'd need 4 bags of 8 ounces = $100

Heartfelt 2 pounds = $62 +2X bags = $70

Looks like I'm going heartfelt.

Thanks though. This coolidor idea is going to work out great.

EDIT wait a minute....since it looks like I'd be dropping $70-100 in beads wouldn't electronic humidification be better?

bobarian 10-10-2010 02:03 AM

No need for active humidification in a cooler. Two pounds of beads should give you many years of hassle free storage. I use 65% Heartfelt beads in my coolers and Vinotemps. :2

NCRadioMan 10-10-2010 02:12 AM

You could use a couple of water pillows. I use one pillow in each of my 77qt coolers. I recharge them every 3-4 months (if needed). Hassle free and cost is a whoping $1. Steady 65%

:2

Bill86 10-10-2010 02:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1017384)
No need for active humidification in a cooler. Two pounds of beads should give you many years of hassle free storage. I use 65% Heartfelt beads in my coolers and Vinotemps. :2

I was looking at the fact of $70 for heartfelt beads + $20 digital hygro is the same price as a Hydra SM which dials in the humidity so I wouldn't really need a hygro, could always move the one from my smaller humidor if I wanted to. Then if I ever got a small cabinet I'd have a hydra already. So I guess what I'm wondering is would it work? Save me a bit of $$$ in the long run, or am I crazy...probably crazy, maybe drunk.

smelvis 10-10-2010 02:45 AM

IMHO
You need fewer beads in coolers than the normal calculations call for complete seals confirm this and they also go forever without recharging. pretty much a great way to store cigars. Not as purty as my wood humidors but boy do they work well.

Dave

Bill86 10-10-2010 12:07 PM

Yeah I was just looking at space to $$$ ratio. That and it seems you getting shipping raped with any cabinet. Coolers are readily available at walmart for like $55 after taxes.

gijoey959 10-11-2010 04:05 PM

I use a $5 little "jar" of humidity gel or whatever it is, it says crystals on the outside, but its gel. That is paired with a couple empty cigar boxes and the wood from a bunch of wood from some tubos, and I use an analog that I got before I got a cheapo digital from walmart, and both constantly read 65%

total to humidify probably cost me about $15

Jbailey 10-11-2010 04:10 PM

I'm running 1lbs of beads (65%) in each 120qt cooler and it's enough.

Bunker 10-11-2010 07:04 PM

Go kitty litter, a 4lb bottle of Exquisicat Crystals cost around $12 at Petsmart. Keeps my humi and cooledor right around 65 rh

T.G 10-11-2010 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1017388)
I was looking at the fact of $70 for heartfelt beads + $20 digital hygro is the same price as a Hydra SM which dials in the humidity so I wouldn't really need a hygro, could always move the one from my smaller humidor if I wanted to. Then if I ever got a small cabinet I'd have a hydra already. So I guess what I'm wondering is would it work? Save me a bit of $$$ in the long run, or am I crazy...probably crazy, maybe drunk.

Active humidifier in a sealed plastic box (cooler) is just begging for problems unless you like things really moist or you happen to be in and out of there a lot. In which case, you probably would have to deal with condensation near the outlet of the humidifier. Great if you like your cigars stored in a swamp.

lostark374 10-11-2010 07:40 PM

two cases of budwiser and a couple bags of ice and your all set no beads needed.

Bill86 10-11-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lostark374 (Post 1019052)
two cases of budwiser and a couple bags of ice and your all set no beads needed.

:pu I'll pass on the budweiser, but raise you a case of dogfish head or stones.

Got ya T.G I'll be ordering 2lbs of beads soon enough. I'm going to wash out the cooler first though. My allergies got my nose completely plugged but I'll bet theres at least a little plastic smell in there.

CigarNut 10-11-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 1019051)
Active humidifier in a sealed plastic box (cooler) is just begging for problems unless you like things really moist or you happen to be in and out of there a lot. In which case, you probably would have to deal with condensation near the outlet of the humidifier. Great if you like your cigars stored in a swamp.

Adam is correct, plus active humidifiers can drive the temperature in the cooler up. All-in-all, a bad combination for your cigars.

Bill86 10-15-2010 05:31 PM

Alright the coolers got 2 pounds of heartfelt beads in there now. Should be enough oddly enough the humidity is never rock solid 65% RH. Chilling at 61 RH now....we'll see how this goes. Either way my setup is good to go. Now I can store another 30 or so boxes :D.

bobarian 10-15-2010 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill86 (Post 1024455)
Alright the coolers got 2 pounds of heartfelt beads in there now. Should be enough oddly enough the humidity is never rock solid 65% RH. Chilling at 61 RH now....we'll see how this goes. Either way my setup is good to go. Now I can store another 30 or so boxes :D.

If you can get empty boxes from your B&M, put them in there until you can get full boxes. They will help stabilize the humidity and you can use them for singles storage as well. Non-varnished cabs(LFD, Tatuaje, etc) work the best, but even regular dress boxes will help. Trust in the beads, I rarely look at my hygrometers. :2

Bill86 10-15-2010 05:54 PM

Got ya brother that was my guess, that there was just a bunch of empty space, I only got 5 boxes in there now. There's 3 more boxes on the way I'll look into those non varnished cabs. Thanks again bob, the cooler idea is awesome. Except for my entire close now is humidors which isn't a bad thing.

68TriShield 10-15-2010 05:58 PM

Save the cedar sheets from boxes to put in there too.Not only will it help stabilize the humidity but the cooler will smell like a cabinet when you open it.
After time of course :)

I love coolers!

dwoodward 10-15-2010 09:08 PM

Anyone know where you can get a 150qt cooler with the ridges on the inside? Our walmarts both only have 50ish qt igloo's with the ridges, and the Sam's Club here has 150qt Igloo's with ridges that only extend a few inches.

I would love to find one so I can make a coolidor and add shelving.

Sorry to hijack btw...