Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Cigarillos should be in the humi, or no? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=69758)

ColdCuts 06-10-2015 12:43 PM

Cigarillos should be in the humi, or no?

I just picked up a whole bunch of small smokes, mostly in tins.

I thought I read somewhere that cigarillos are dry-cured (?) which means they don't require or benefit from controlled humidity. I can't seem to find said info now.

Can anyone confirm or deny? TIA -(P

Blueface 06-10-2015 12:46 PM

Re: Cigarillos should be in the humi, or no?

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCuts (Post 2039444)

I thought I read somewhere that cigarillos are dry-cured (?) which means they don't require or benefit from controlled humidity. I can't seem to find said info now.

I would follow the example of giving a dead man an enema. If it doesn't help, it sure as heck can't hurt.:D

ColdCuts 06-10-2015 12:58 PM

Yeah, I know the humidor won't hurt 'em. But I'm wondering if it's just as well to keep them in my backpack.

T.G 06-10-2015 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ColdCuts (Post 2039444)

AFAIK, it depends on the brand/cigar. I have had both dry-cured and normal ones. The tin was never a definitive indicator.

stearns 06-10-2015 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T.G (Post 2039449)
AFAIK, it depends on the brand/cigar. I have had both dry-cured and normal ones. The tin was never a definitive indicator.

That's my understanding as well. At the old shop we had some that we left out by the register and some kept in the humi. I don't know of any good way to tell which is which, but I don't believe the "dry" cigars are hurt by being in the humidor. Other than some that I had been told were dry, I keep everything in my humidor. Although I only have a few on hand at a time, so it's more a place to put them

Subvet642 06-10-2015 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blueface (Post 2039445)
I would follow the example of giving a dead man an enema. If it doesn't help, it sure as heck can't hurt.:D

Thanks for that mental image! :r

The Poet 06-10-2015 01:46 PM

Though not exclusively, many dry-cured cigars (in tins or otherwise) are of European manufacture. Small tinned cigars from Caribbean or Central American sources are not.

This is at least my understanding. I keep short smokes almost constantly, and always in my humidors. At one point I also kept some dry-cured ones around, e.g. Villigers, as I thought they would be more "forgiving" as I toted them with me for emergency quickies. These I stored in a coolerdor, but felt no qualms about sticking one or two in my shirt pocket for hours.

In short, to answer your question . . . :sh???

shark 06-10-2015 01:50 PM

I've had those tins of Hoyo de Montereys before and left them sitting out of the humi for a few days, and found them dried out when I got back to them, so I'd say keep them like regular cigars.

AdamJoshua 06-10-2015 02:12 PM

I would think any type of tobacco left out in low humidity will dry out, cigarettes dry out pretty quickly even so... I'd go the enema route as well :D

mosesbotbol 06-10-2015 02:56 PM

Put in humidor.

the nub 06-10-2015 04:51 PM

cigarillos tend to burn hot and imho keeping them in a humidor tempers that.

nutcracker 06-11-2015 04:41 AM

I left a few out that became quite brittle. Now they're in a humi.