Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=37)
-   -   Once Great Pipe Tool Replaced with Junk at JR Cigar (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=40353)

Mister Moo 12-21-2010 02:34 PM

Once Great Pipe Tool Replaced with Junk at JR Cigar

Heads up, shoppers. I regret to advise that the once stout, reliable Czech multi-tool sold by JR Cigars (and just about everyone else) has been replaced at the JR/Selma, NC, store with a sorry look alike. It is a flimsy stamped PAS and smaller in all dimensions. It retains the characteristic patterning on the tamper arm but it is a whole new ballgame.

Heads up, JR's. I'd pay the extra dime for the other one.

Here's a sock full of ashes for JR Merchandising... :sl :sl :sl

Doctorossi 12-21-2010 02:37 PM

Re: Once Great Pipe Tool Replaced with Junk at JR Cigar

Honestly, I'm more surprised to hear they once carried a quality product.

alley00p 12-21-2010 02:41 PM

Dan,
I quit shopping at JR's for anything pipe-related, once I figured out their shipping & handling for pipe tobacco. :(

I think they are only concerned with cigar sales and pipes are an afterthought.

Charlie

Mister Moo 12-21-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alley00p (Post 1102093)
Dan,
I quit shopping at JR's for anything pipe-related, once I figured out their shipping & handling for pipe tobacco. :(

Charlie

I have a different take, Chas. While I agree their freight deal is a dog, I have two stores within driving range - Selma, only a 25-minute summer day motorcycle drive thru the country; and the Burlington store is right on the way to other places I frequent - and I pass the Statesville, NC, store several time/year. Cash and carry is great with NC taxes and no shipping charges. Their tobacco selection/price has been great up until the recent universal shortages and their pipe selection is immense. AND - the Selma store has great retail guys, excellent coffee and friends in the lounge. I'll try and click a picture in Selma for you to see sometime - quite a place, really.

If I had to order online I'd probably look elsewhere and feel different about it.

Ranger_B 12-21-2010 04:30 PM

Dan the selma store is not that far from me and I will not lie it has not even been a consideration up till now. I will have to check it out in the spring.

Slow Triathlete 12-28-2010 03:01 PM

This is why I've pretty much gone over to a pipe nail exclusively.

Curly Cut 12-29-2010 01:41 PM

i think the czech tool is absolutely the worst "tool" to use for tamping, etc.
http://iht-apipesmokerscognition.blo...4/tampers.html

TheatyHannington 01-02-2011 11:00 PM

I just use my finger. It's pretty inexpensive.

physiognomy 01-03-2011 12:03 AM

Thanks for the heads up, Dan! I do like to keep a couple of Czech tools around, but usually find myself grabbing for other tampers first. One of the best I've come across is a stainless Savinelli tool (pictured bottom). I find it handy because the tamper is hinged, so you can easily adjust its angle.

http://farm6.static.flickr.com/5207/...0bba6072_z.jpg

GreekGodX 01-03-2011 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 1102132)
I have a different take, Chas. While I agree their freight deal is a dog, I have two stores within driving range - Selma, only a 25-minute summer day motorcycle drive thru the country; and the Burlington store is right on the way to other places I frequent - and I pass the Statesville, NC, store several time/year. Cash and carry is great with NC taxes and no shipping charges. Their tobacco selection/price has been great up until the recent universal shortages and their pipe selection is immense. AND - the Selma store has great retail guys, excellent coffee and friends in the lounge. I'll try and click a picture in Selma for you to see sometime - quite a place, really.

If I had to order online I'd probably look elsewhere and feel different about it.

This is pretty much how I feel about the JR store here, minus the whole tax thing (MI taxes aren't the worst but still high). No lounge at our JR but the staff is great and they have one of the better selections of tin pipe tobacco.

Sucks to hear that they would carry a different czech tool. If it ain't broke, don't fix it seems fitting for this situation.

Mister Moo 01-05-2011 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by physiognomy (Post 1116772)
the tamper is hinged, so you can easily adjust its angle.

My wrists are hinged. I can use any tamper with total comfort and precision. Own up to your limits and have the surgery. Do both arms, too, not just the one.

Unlike Curly Cut I LOVE the Czech multi tool. First - they are like an old reliable friend, always shiny, always there and (up til now) always unchanging (at JR's). Second - they were so cheap I never thought twice about buying a bunch for handouts, or losing them or using them to improperly force something ("Don't do that, son.") enough that it might damage the tool itself. Third - they enhance my wardrobe; the Czech tamper always lifts out a few embers that, sooner or later, fall on my shirts, jackets or trousers and as everything gradually turns to lace, Mrs. Moo takes me out for new shirts, etc.

I especially like that third aspect of the Czech multi tool. I suggest to Mrs. Moo that perhaps we should go to JR's to replace those see-thru shirts and jeans cause they're on sale over there and (bingo!) so's that wine you like. So I get a new cowboy shirt, a few more bandanas, she gets wine and then I go to the humidor and buy more Czech multi tools and a few more tins of Rattrays or Escudo. It was even more fun before Dunhill crapped out.

It is also the last one I reach for - they are the spares that hang in glove compartments, in the pipe bag pocket and in the backs of man-drawers behind spent brass casings, battered compass, pencils and expired drivers licenses.

I actually prefer the fake cheap multi tool though. They lift out even more embers to burn my shirts insuring more trips to JR's and more new cowboy shirts.

VirtualSmitty 01-15-2011 07:30 AM

I like my Czech tool. It's handy to have around. But I also like my Mr. C brass tool and JoeD tamper I got awhile back. Good stuff. To be honest I can't say I notice a difference in how any of them tamp down the tobacco.

freestoke 02-11-2011 11:15 AM

In almost 50 years of pipe smoking I have never owned a Czech tool. Always had a pipe nail or a Brebbia nail, though. Or a golf tee -- I'm thinking about breaking out the extra long golf tees that came with a cob order from Aristocob!

And I'm hurt, HURT I tell you, that you didn't recognize the great artistry and craftsmanship that went into those wooden tampers I sent you, Moo!

Mister Moo 02-11-2011 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freestoke (Post 1169447)
...And I'm hurt, HURT I tell you, that you didn't recognize the great artistry and craftsmanship that went into those wooden tampers I sent you, Moo!

Drat! I thought those were butt plugs. Are they dishwasher safe? :noon :noon

(I forgot about those guys, Fr'oke - my bad. Kind thanks, of course! They're in the car waiting for me. I thought they were for sandpaper-wrap/reaming but, WTH, they'll tamp.)

For those who don't already know Freestoke, he's a gent with a lot of experience, a willingness to share and a drawer full of home made wooden dowel tampers. He is also does yoga and runs amok. Since he hasn't found the Pipe-Introduction thread yet (I don't think there is one, is there?) please give him a kind welcome.

Commander Quan 02-11-2011 12:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 1169487)

You just made me shoot a piece of a cookie out my nose

freestoke 02-11-2011 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mister Moo (Post 1169487)

I'd worry more about the dishwasher.

alfredo_buscatti 04-01-2011 05:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alley00p (Post 1102093)
Dan,

Charlie

Years ago I was very assertive with an employee at the Burlington store regarding why, as they carried half a dozen SG tins, why they didn't carry "Best Brown," and was told derisively and directly exactly what I've quoted.

fatdog 05-12-2011 11:13 AM

I used to be all about the Czech tools until i discovered a doctors knife. I have a couple of different styles but they all have a regular sharp blade, a dull spatula blade thats perfect for reaming and a squared off end that I use to tamp with. Case makes an expensive one called the baby doc but I normally use a Schrade. Stops me from having to carry a pocket knife and a tamper at the same time. Now if I could just combine my car keys and my phone I'd be in great shape.
Peace
Marc

Mister Moo 08-16-2011 05:09 AM

Czech Republic tool is back at JR's as of August.

Never mind.