Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   I have a rookie question. (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=61017)

J Higgi 03-12-2013 01:01 PM

I have a rookie question.

Do you guys take your cigars out of the wrapper when you put them in your humidor or leave them wrapped up and im in a high humidity place right now and wanted to know a good way to bring down the humidity? Thanks for the help Jack

icehog3 03-12-2013 01:02 PM

Re: I have a rookie question.

I leave 'em in....personal preference, keeps them from getting damaged in my singles drawer.

kelmac07 03-12-2013 01:02 PM

Jack...it's a personal preference. If they come in cellophane, I leave them in the cellophane. The only thing I remove is if the stick is wrapped in cedar (Anejos for example). :2

bobarian 03-12-2013 01:24 PM

The best way to lower and regulate humidity is to use humidification beads. Heartfeltindustries.com and shilalasbeads.com/ are both great.

I leave all my cigars as they came, with the exception of repacking some 25ct boxes into larger cab's. I prefer my cigars at 65% or lower Rh. :2

AdamJoshua 03-12-2013 01:27 PM

I started taking them out because they "looked better" but then realized it's really not worth it, little bits of tabac and the chance of damaging a good stick quickly changed my mind.

@bobarian ... why didn't I ever think of that, repackaging boxes into cabs, see learn something new here every day, need to find the right cabs now.

Lockspur 03-12-2013 01:58 PM

I agree with the people above this post.

I leave 'em in.

jjirons69 03-12-2013 03:13 PM

In

Be Bob's post about beads. I have Heartfelt and they're rock solid with a little misting on occasion.

equetefue 03-12-2013 03:37 PM

I personally leave them in cello

mad4maduro 03-12-2013 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by icehog3 (Post 1806379)
I leave 'em in....personal preference, keeps them from getting damaged in my singles drawer.

+1:banger

mad4maduro 03-12-2013 03:52 PM

regarding lowering the humidity...I just prop the lid open for a bit and keep an eye on things....I use 65% beads and they do pretty well at keeping the humidity constant so it's not often an issue.

CJS 03-12-2013 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1806380)
Jack...it's a personal preference. If they come in cellophane, I leave them in the cellophane. The only thing I remove is if the stick is wrapped in cedar (Anejos for example). :2

Mac, any reason for removing the cedar? Or is it personal preference as well?

mahtofire14 03-12-2013 04:03 PM

If they come with cello on I leave it on for the sole reason of protecting the stick.

kelmac07 03-12-2013 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CJS (Post 1806432)
Mac, any reason for removing the cedar? Or is it personal preference as well?

I've had some bad luck with Anejos and mold forming under the cedar, only to be surprised when it's time to smoke them. To alleviate the problem, I remove the cedar.

mad4maduro 03-12-2013 04:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kelmac07 (Post 1806434)
I've had some bad luck with Anejos and mold forming under the cedar, only to be surprised when it's time to smoke them. To alleviate the problem, I remove the cedar.

interesting...i never thought of that being a possibility

Steve 03-12-2013 04:22 PM

Yes

CJS 03-12-2013 04:26 PM

I always remove the cello since I think cigars (and very much everything else) look ugly when wrapped in plastics :p

As for regulating humidity, I think beads are the best.

bobarian 03-12-2013 05:00 PM

Just to clarify. Cellophane is NOT plastic! It is vegetable product and is air and moisture permeable, so it will allow your cigars to acclimate to the Rh of your humidor. :2

CJS 03-12-2013 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobarian (Post 1806465)
Just to clarify. Cellophane is NOT plastic! It is vegetable product and is air and moisture permeable, so it will allow your cigars to acclimate to the Rh of your humidor. :2

Yup...I am aware of that. I remove them simply for aesthetic reason. I just love to see the cigars lining up neatly each time I open my humidor.

And yes, I am also aware that there's a clinical term that describes this condition that I have :r

Porch Dweller 03-12-2013 06:35 PM

I used to unwrap them as they look better in the humidor "naked". After accidentally dinging the foot of a few of them I started leaving them in the cellophane for their protection.

pnoon 03-12-2013 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Porch Dweller (Post 1806484)
I used to unwrap them as they look better in the humidor "naked". After accidentally dinging the foot of a few of them I started leaving them in the cellophane for their protection.

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_baPSplXYBp...peka-bingo.jpg[