Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   All Cigar Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=5)
-   -   Two very "cubanesque" cigars I've smoked lately (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63287)

Cincymike 08-28-2013 03:23 PM

Two very "cubanesque" cigars I've smoked lately

The Herrera Esteli (by Willy Herrera for Drew) and the Pinolero by AJ Fernandez. I've not been a big fan of AJ's smokes (just don't suit my tastes) but this one is a winner in my book. It has a good balance of strength and tang, at least in the corona. The Herrera is very well crafted with a silky wrapper, great burn, creamy with a little bit of tanginess. Both are medium in strength. They both come from Nicaragua (no surprise LOL), but I'm not sure if they are puros.

Anyone else tried them......opinions?

maninblack 08-28-2013 03:27 PM

Re: Two very "cubanesque" cigars I've smoked lately

Yes like them both but not something I'd smoke alot of. Too mild for my tastes. Give me a maduro any day over these. But they are a nice change of pace.

Sweet_Leaf_PDX 08-28-2013 03:54 PM

I like the Herrera Esteli cigars, but have not tried the Pinolero yet. I have been going down the maduro highway at full speed lately, but I still enjoy this type of cigar.

You should also try the CyB cigars by Joya De Nicaragua. I think they have a similar vibe to the Herrera Esteli line.

kelmac07 08-28-2013 03:57 PM

I really enjoyed the few Herrera Estelis I have had. As Kevin said, these are a great change of pace sticks from my regular diet of maduros.

King James 08-28-2013 05:55 PM

I smoked a Herrera Esteli a month or so ago and was pleasantly surprised with not only the flavors, but the fact that those flavors held throughout the entire smoke and until it was nubbed. Definitely the closest NC to having a Cuban profile that I've smoked.

Dunkel 08-28-2013 06:21 PM

Note to self when I want to be disappointed by a cigar I should smoke a Pinolero and Herrera Esteli. ;)

PartagasIV 08-28-2013 06:26 PM

I bit on a fiver of Esteli short coronas, and the one I had was very enjoyable. Agree on your point. At at a very reasonable price.

bresdogsr 08-28-2013 07:50 PM

Pinolero corona sat me on my a$$. Really enjoy the toro though and definately get that "cubanesque" taste from it.

Beagleone 08-29-2013 09:15 AM

From my understanding, there will be a Hererra Esteli Maduro in the near future. At least that has been teased. I do like the HE quite a lot and have smoked them pretty regularly since they were released.

DaBear 08-29-2013 11:20 AM

Glad y'all had some luck with the HEs and Pinoleros. Neither of mine I could consider good. The HE was bland and boring and the Pinoleros I've tried have been flat out awful. If I want a CC-esque profile, I'll reach for a Curivari any day. Fratellos too, they have some striking similarities to some Partys.

Brooks W 08-29-2013 11:40 AM

Love the HE and the Curivari, but one of the most CC tasting NCs I have had is the Quesada Espana Corona/Lancero...Awesome ;)

Garbandz 08-29-2013 11:56 AM

+ 1 for Fratello,but they are bolder than the average cc.....

Curivari are just good,always.

Cincymike 08-29-2013 01:20 PM

I'll have to check out the cigars you guys mentioned.

BlackIrish 08-29-2013 01:54 PM

I liked the Hererra Esteli (my review is here) but I didn't think it was particularly Cubanesque.

Cincymike 08-29-2013 04:18 PM

Nice review....I've personally detected a good bit of tang in the ones I've smoked which also happens to be the short corona.

icehog3 08-29-2013 05:14 PM

Like the orange juice the astronauts drink? :D

massphatness 08-29-2013 06:48 PM

I've always wanted to try a Tang

Garbandz 08-29-2013 07:16 PM

Two astronauts walk into a bar.............

Cincymike 08-29-2013 07:40 PM

I realize "tang" can mean several different things.......LMAO

icehog3 08-29-2013 08:18 PM

I ahve heard "twang" used to describe Cuban cigars, although I find it kind of non-descriptive....that the word you were meaning to use, Mike?