Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Steak 'n' Shake going out of business? (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=74911)

Brian D. 03-27-2019 09:46 AM

Steak 'n' Shake going out of business?

Around here, they (after giving employees three hours' warning) shut down all their locations at 8pm. Sign on the door stated they were converting them all from company to franchisee stores. From here in Cincytucky, all the way to north of Dayton, Ohio.

I did some news digging. Doesn't sound like they have the franchisees lined up, or even on the horizon anyplace. I really feel bad for the employees, but sudden shutdowns like that seem to be standard practice in their industry. Darn shame, I really liked grabbing breakfast or lunch at the one closest to my house.

mosesbotbol 03-27-2019 12:25 PM

Re: Steak 'n' Shake going out of business?

I wonder if they own or lease most of their locations?

Are there franchise SnS businesses that are already operational in other locales?

The Poet 03-27-2019 06:04 PM

If you google this, you will find stories stating the closures are temporary as they transition from a corporate-owned company to a franchise business model. One report I saw said you could "own" your local place with a franchise fee of only $10,000, plus a commitment to 6 months of training. Considering, that sounds like a bargain.

hudd 03-27-2019 06:40 PM

One on west side of Hamilton closed up a couple months ago. Went by the other day and their remodeling it.

icehog3 03-28-2019 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Poet (Post 2172156)
If you google this, you will find stories stating the closures are temporary as they transition from a corporate-owned company to a franchise business model. One report I saw said you could "own" your local place with a franchise fee of only $10,000, plus a commitment to 6 months of training. Considering, that sounds like a bargain.

It really does, if I knew anything at all about the food business, there's one a mile from my house. But I don't know squat about it.

elderboy02 03-28-2019 07:33 AM

I was never a fan. The one by my house always had a ton of critical health code violations

mosesbotbol 03-29-2019 11:01 AM

Never been to one or if I had; that is how memorable it was...

icehog3 03-29-2019 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mosesbotbol (Post 2172269)
Never been to one or if I had; that is how memorable it was...

Loved it when I was a little kid, there weren't any in Detroit, but we would always go to one in Clearwater Florida when we'd visit my grandparents. Definitely doesn't hold the same attraction as an adult.