Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   Entertainment (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=58)
-   -   Oscar's..I'll eat Perry's hat if HEATH LEDGER wins (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=10714)

mrreindeer 02-21-2009 02:46 PM

Oscar's..I'll eat Perry's hat if HEATH LEDGER wins

And I'll take a video of it, Perry. :ss

Aside from HATING 'Rachel Getting Married' so much and posting a thread about how Anne Hathaway most certainly does NOT deserve to win an Oscar for that piece of boring trash, I've got another beef (thank goodness I didn't watch more Oscar/Golden Globe nominated movies)....so I figured I'd tell you all about it since I can't get it off my mind and I wondered if y'all felt the same way or not.

And forgive me if you all aren't taken up by all this Oscar madness as we are out here in LaLaLand....hell, mrsreindeer wants to pack in every single nominated flick this weekend alone ahead of the awards ceremony and I told her it's physically not possible.

Soooo.....

HEATH LEDGER....

First, he did a great job with the Joker, that's for sure. I would never say he didn't do a great job. And I liked the movie a lot (I was surprised it was so good, frankly). That's not what my beef is about. But Best Supporting Actor? Really?

Did Jack Nicholson, who also did an amazing job with the Joker, get an Oscar nod? Nope. And he was incredible too. He did get a nomination for the Golden Globes, however, but didn't win the award.

So....here's this guy, who did do a great job in the film but I'm not sure it's Oscar worthy and yes, I was pi$$ed too that he won the Golden Globe.

They're doing this, I fear, to honor his life's work. He won neither award after receiving nominations for the Oscar & Golden Globe for 'Brokeback Mountain'.

So why not give him an honorary 'Lifetime Achievement' award instead of taking the trophy away from other excellent, LIVING nominated actors who can benefit greatly from the win?

This is why I'm pi$$ed. The guy died or killed himself and it's terribly tragic; I'm not trying to imply anything different.

But to put a dead guy in the running with other deserving, living actors who can benefit greatly is almost, in my opinion, like a slap in the face to those other actors.

Is it not?

cort 02-21-2009 03:01 PM

Re: Oscar's..I'll eat Perry's hat if HEATH LEDGER

Wow dude tell me how you really feel!!:D

I think he did a great job in the film. I also think it is tragic that he is now dead at such an early age.

I honestly think that if he was alive today he would not win the award. I am not saying that to take away anything from his performance.

Starscream 02-21-2009 03:20 PM

You better get that video ready (and some salt and pepper:D).

mrreindeer 02-21-2009 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gwc4sc (Post 248284)
I honestly think that if he was alive today he would not win the award. I am not saying that to take away anything from his performance.

Totally agree, Gary.....and therefore, he shouldn't get it....

Quote:

Originally Posted by andysutherland (Post 248310)
You better get that video ready (and some salt and pepper:D).

:r:r:r:r Can I add some teriyaki sauce at least?

SeanGAR 02-21-2009 03:28 PM

The award is supposed to be for the best supporting actor. Dead or not, if he was the best, he should win.

The medical examiner said that he died of an accidental overdose, there was no indication that it was anything other than that, but combining OxyContin, Percodan, Percocet, Valium, Xanax and Ambien .... well, that was just stupid.

white_s2k 02-21-2009 03:31 PM

He absolutely deserves the Oscar. Incredible performance.

mrreindeer 02-21-2009 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanGAR (Post 248326)
The award is supposed to be for the best supporting actor. Dead or not, if he was the best, he should win.

You make a good point Sean...I think Gary & I are on the same page in thinking it wasn't the best...

Let's look at the other contenders:

Josh Brolin - MILK
Robert Downey, Jr. - TROPIC THUNDER
Philip Seymour Hoffman - DOUBT
Michael Shannon - REVOLUTIONARY ROAD

Okay, I've only seen Tropic Thunder, and well, again, I'm not sure he deserves the Oscar for that role but he was good. Strange that that movie got an Oscar nod. If Robert got a nomination, why not Tom Cruise, he was awesome.

How 'bout the rest of you folks who have seen the other movies above? Out of all those, do you think Heath Ledger deserves the win?

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanGAR (Post 248326)
The medical examiner said that he died of an accidental overdose, there was no indication that it was anything other than that, but combining OxyContin, Percodan, Percocet, Valium, Xanax and Ambien .... well, that was just stupid.

Totally agree...and it's still very, very sad. And could have been totally avoidable so I still consider it 'accidental suicide'.

mrreindeer 02-21-2009 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by white_s2k (Post 248330)
He absolutely deserves the Oscar. Incredible performance.

Yo Josh....but did you see the other movies? (I can't say I have so....damn it, maybe mrsreindeer was right....we should watch them all by tomorrow!)

Don Fernando 02-21-2009 03:59 PM

would you like some chips with that hat sir?

ucla695 02-21-2009 04:31 PM

Dang dude. Well, at least we know where you stand on the issue. :r I agree with you to some extent, but we have to remember that we're talking about Hollywood. It loves a great story and I can see those in the Academy eating it up.

BTW, do you have a HD cam? :D :r

Genetic Defect 02-21-2009 04:42 PM

PM me your addy :r

mrreindeer 02-22-2009 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucla695 (Post 248429)
Dang dude. Well, at least we know where you stand on the issue. I agree with you to some extent, but we have to remember that we're talking about Hollywood. It loves a great story and I can see those in the Academy eating it up.

Absolutely right Mike.

Quote:

Originally Posted by ucla695 (Post 248429)
BTW, do you have a HD cam?

:r:r

btw, trying to catch up...just watched the Changeling this morning....pretty good flick! :tu

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Vito (Post 248442)
PM me your addy

:r:r I was wondering when you were gonna see this Perry!

bobarian 02-22-2009 11:31 AM

Get that camera ready, we are gonna need pics of this epic event!:r

Starscream 02-22-2009 08:08 PM

Heh heh heh...:r

Get that salt and pepper out.

Whee 02-22-2009 08:10 PM

One order of crow with a side of hat to go....

mrreindeer 02-22-2009 08:12 PM

ALRIGHT, ALRIGHT.....damn it......send it over Perry.... :D

(Congratulations to Heath and his family for a job well done....I never said he wasn't good)

Mugen910 02-22-2009 08:19 PM

Dave you knew this was a sucker bet...he was a lock to win...oh and Jack IMHO did an ok job as the Joker...

Genetic Defect 02-22-2009 08:24 PM

he won because he OD on drugs, doesnt change the fact that poor Dave will be eating my hat :r

mrreindeer 02-22-2009 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mugen910 (Post 250589)
Dave you knew this was a sucker bet......

I know, I know....at least I won't have to eat two hats....no way Anne Hathaway wins for that POS movie she's in.

Starscream 02-22-2009 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Big Vito (Post 250607)
he won because he OD on drugs, doesnt change the fact that poor Dave will be eating my hat :r

Make sure you get all sweaty and wear the hat around all day before you mail it.:D (Sorry Dave)