Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum

Cigar Asylum Cigar Forum (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/index.php)
-   General Discussion (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/forumdisplay.php?f=48)
-   -   Hidden money (http://www.cigarasylum.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60519)

OLS 02-04-2013 07:11 AM

Hidden money

My mother used to say, back when I used to bounce checks in the USAF, that I needed to "HIDE money
from myself." I told her, "that's stupid, how can I pretend not to know I have money when I know it is
there?" The problem is that military people (and college students) don't make 5hi+ to begin with, and
'hiding money' from ourselves would first involve HAVING money. Then you'd have to get past the whole
KNOWING about it thing.

Flash forward about 30 something years and I have money. Not much, but more than I had then.
One payday last year I had slid a hundred into a automated checkout at KROWGER to pay for my
crap, and it did what it always does when you use a $100, it cranked out a crapload of fives.
I got to the car and I took the three fives that looked they'd spent serious time in Madea's buttcrack
and I stashed them in the console of the car and thought, "One day this is going to come in handy and
I will be glad I did this."

The OTHER, other day, I was heading for goodwill to hunt for Revere Ware, see this post
and I found three pots I wanted, but did not have enough money in my pocket to buy them.
Plus I wanted to ride across the street from Goodwill and get me some Chinese Food.
I was pi55ed off. I wanted all this crap and had 11 bucks to accomplish about 17 bucks worth of
stuff. Then I remembered the money I had stashed. I couldn't believe my luck and the serendipity.
If they had been 90s or even 80s Revere Ware, I would have just tossed it back on the rack,
but cruel fate had designed the day perfectly, they were all pre-1958 items... see why that matters
So I bought the items and got ten cents change, but by that time I knew I had three fivers stashed
in the console, so I went across the street and picked up my lunch and on the next payday,
replaced the fives with $20s. Hiding money from yourself is a GREAT IDEA. You should try it.
When the day comes to tell YOUR STORY, here is the spot to do it. Unless you're ADAM, in which
please feel free to post things like this:

http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...psd028a0f8.jpg

363 02-04-2013 07:45 AM

Re: Hidden money

Nice!

hazydat620 02-04-2013 08:47 AM

Its the best when you put on a old jacket or pair of pants and find some greenbacks that you didn't know were there, its fun finding funds that you don't have to tell the old lady about.

shilala 02-04-2013 09:40 AM

The moral of this story:
Snatch your own lid or someone else WILL snatch your lid for you.
Not really, I just loved the phrase "someone else WILL snatch your lid".

I read the Revere-ware link pretty hard, Brad. The pre-'58 part wasn't all that obvious. Is it cause they switched to sandwiched copper?
I used to be pwned by vintage Fiesta Ware. I get the compulsion. It's fun.

I hide money in my car. There's usually at least 3 inches of quarters in the console for emergencies, and bills hid somewhere. It's emergency ice cream money, really.

elderboy02 02-04-2013 11:19 AM

I always hide about $40 in the back storage compartment of my wallet. That way if I run out of my main cash, I can dip into that $40 emergency backup.

14holestogie 02-04-2013 11:45 AM

I always hide mine in the little woman's purse. Only it's not hidden. And it's not mine. But it spends like mine. :D

sikk50 02-04-2013 11:52 AM

Nice!y mom told me the same thing. I always try to keep a $20 behind my drivers license just incase I get stranded.ost times that's actually the only cash I have. I use card all the time

shilala 02-04-2013 12:13 PM

http://i925.photobucket.com/albums/a...ps00cf46f9.jpg

bonjing 02-04-2013 03:29 PM

Haha, I do this too. But then I only remember I have the cash after I need. :sh

Taki 02-04-2013 03:37 PM

Being diabetic I always try and keep sugar tablets and 50 bucks in my car just incase I have to pull over somewhere and they don't take plastic :tu

The Poet 02-04-2013 03:48 PM

If anybody needs to hide a little cash for a rainy day, there's plenty of room in MY empty wallet. :tu

Just sayin', and just offerin' to help. :D

Bax 02-04-2013 03:51 PM

I'm taking it one step further. I'm going to start hiding money from my wife!

The Poet 02-04-2013 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bax (Post 1791187)
I'm taking it one step further. I'm going to start hiding money from my wife!

Good luck with that. :rolleyes:

cmitch 02-04-2013 10:44 PM

It gets easier when you get in the nursing home.

Ranger_B 02-05-2013 04:32 PM

I hide money whenever I have some extra lying around. My wife now uses my hiding spots to assist in funding family trips and donations when the youth group is needing stuff. I have started using my cigar boxes, travel humidors and gun safe to hide my money in a safer place. She has found money I forgot I hid.